whole Lamb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whole Lamb

Hey guys I have had my oven going for a few months now and have done Pizzas for the family and a couple of parties so far with now problems. however its my farther in laws birthday next weekend and his favorite dish is lamb on the spit. So I am going to do a whole lamb (16) for him in the oven for lunch.

I am thinking off fully heating the oven for a few hours and then doing it with the door off and a small coal based fire on one side to give the lamb skin that nice crispness. I do have a door but am unsure about cooking something that size and for that long with the door on as I have had problems in the past.

If anyone has done this or has any advice please let me know.

Re: whole Lamb

Originally posted by JD07 View Post
    Hey guys I have had my oven going for a few months now and have done Pizzas for the family and a couple of parties so far with now problems. however its my farther in laws birthday next weekend and his favorite dish is lamb on the spit. So I am going to do a whole lamb (16) for him in the oven for lunch.

I am thinking off fully heating the oven for a few hours and then doing it with the door off and a small coal based fire on one side to give the lamb skin that nice crispness. I do have a door but am unsure about cooking something that size and for that long with the door on as I have had problems in the past.

If anyone has done this or has any advice please let me know.
    It is nice of you to share our oven with family. Some recent threads about baking larger roasts and turkeys are found in this by using the 'Search' function here on fornobravo. The search feature is above, on the same line as: User CP, Photo Gallery, Post Photos, New Posts, Search, Quick Links & Log Out

Old timers here recommend using a google search, but for simple searches for 'Lamb' or 'turkey', the FB.com search has worked for me. I posted a searchlink the other day with a search for 'lamb', but it was no good today....If you try the search function, you will get some ideas from the success of our fellow fornobravo members' experiences.
    Last edited by Lburou; 01-24-2011, 07:26 AM.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

There's a very good video on YOUTUBE, on how to cook a whole lamb in a WFO, check it out.

Comment

While we are talking about cooking items other than pizza... What type of pots, pans etc is everyone using? I got "the look" from my wife when I broke out one of our pans to cook in the WFO.

Comment

Cast iron and ceramics. I have some old regular cast iron and a La Creuset I bought used on ebay I use a lot. For ceramics Corningware is "okay" but handmade high kiln finish ceramics are really cool. Bram (The Art of Claypot Cooking - Bram) in Sonoma has spectacular stuff. We have about six ceramic pots of various kinds, lidded and not.

Comment

Le Creuset cookware is silly expensive, but the Chinese are starting to make enameled cast iron pots for more reasonable prices. I have a big casserole, and a little shallow skillet which is great for browning stuff in the oven doorway while the fire is heating up.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Sam's Club carries a 5qt enameled cast iron dutch oven for $37. I have gotten wonderful results out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mn8tr View Post
                While we are talking about cooking items other than pizza... What type of pots, pans etc is everyone using? I got "the look" from my wife when I broke out one of our pans to cook in the WFO.
                Plain old Lodge cast iron dutch ovens made in South Pittsburg, Tennessee (their enameled stuff is made in China)

Just did a chuck roast the other night and this week I am trying out some game hens in the dutch oven without the lid.

But a whole lamb (I am Basque!) sure sounds good! Let us know how it turns out!!

Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Originally posted by EricU View Post
                  Plain old Lodge cast iron dutch ovens made in South Pittsburg, Tennessee (their enameled stuff is made in China)

Just did a chuck roast the other night and this week I am trying out some game hens in the dutch oven without the lid.

But a whole lamb (I am Basque!) sure sounds good! Let us know how it turns out!!

Would you PM me with instructions on inserting a large picture like that? Please.

Simple is better!
                  Lee B.
                  DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                    Would you PM me with instructions on inserting a large picture like that? Please.
                    You have to have the pic hosted off site, copy the image URL, click the and insert the image URL.
                    Simple.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                      You have to have the pic hosted off site, copy the image URL, click the and insert the image URL.
                      Simple.
                      So, you're saying the max picture size is different because it is hosted at another site and not an attachment?

Thanks
                      Lee B.
                      DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Correct.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You can also host it here. On the front forum page hit the tab "photogallery" then hit "upload" on the page that comes up.
                          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

So you can too...

Its set to 1 pic at a time though like the attachments upload, its a slow way to upload a pic 1 at a time.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                              You can also host it here. On the front forum page hit the tab "photogallery" then hit "upload" on the page that comes up.
                              Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                              So you can too...

Its set to 1 pic at a time though like the attachments upload, its a slow way to upload a pic 1 at a time.
                              Thanks for filling in some more gaps in my education

I'll work on it.
                              Lee B.
                              DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X