Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Roast

Hey
    Do any of you Deer hunters in the states or Canada that own WFO'S have any Recomendations for doing a leg of venison in an oven.
    Bricks.

Re: Venison Roast

First of all you have to catch a deer, then you have to cut a leg off without the deer noticing too much.

Other than that Id say its pretty much like roasting a leg of lamb pound for pound, kilo for kilo.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hello bricks,

In my experience venison is quite variable in flavor and fat content. It depends on how it is handled by the hunter and processor and a lot on the deer's diet. If the meat is mild and fatty (good luck) then treat it like lamb. If it is lean and strongly flavored then place bacon or additional fat on it while roasting. A good way to roast red meat is to marinate it in a dry "rub" made of paprika, salt pepper and other strongly flavored seasonings. Look for "jerk rub", Jamaican rub or other dry rub recipes on the internet.

Here's a recipe author Steven Raichlen recommends. It's a four part rub made from Kosher salt, paprika, cracked black pepper and brown sugar. You can also add other spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, celery seed, cumin, and other favorites to the basic four part rub. Adjust the additions to your personal taste.

Cheers,
      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Hi Bob,
        The recipe sounds really nice.I can't wait for winter to harvest some meat and give it a try.
        Bricks.

Comment

Working...
        X