Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: How do i cook Pork and ribs in my oven? Tips???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: How do i cook Pork and ribs in my oven? Tips???

Hi everyone,,

I need some advice on oven temp and environment to cook pork and also pork/beef ribs.

I have tried beer can chicken and found a good temp of 350DegF and then leave in for 3 hours.

I'm firing up the oven tomorrow and any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Would cooking say the chicken and other thing at the same time ruin the flavour of both?

Cheers,

Gummz

Re: Help: How do i cook Pork and ribs in my oven? Tips???

I grill pork loin at pizza temperatures. You don't want that stuff dried out. A three quarter inch thick slice from the pork loin grills six minutes per side on the tuscan grill just like in the barbecue, and they are moist and juicy on the inside. Ribs you want to do low and slow, your three hundred degree oven should be fine for that, as well as anything roast like, such as a fresh ham. It's worth using your meat thermometer for brick oven cooking. Since you don't have uniform temperatures, you want to keep an eye on what's happening inside of any roast. Meat's too expensive now to cook hard and tough. If it's browning up too much before the inside is cooked, a piece of foil over the roast will even things up.

For me, roast chicken is a winter dish. This time of year I cut 'em up, salt the pieces, and cook them at pizza oven temperatures, as above. I push the grill with the chicken pieces into the back of the oven, and cook some pita breads in front of it. By the time you've done a few, it's time to turn the chicken pieces, do a few more flatbreads and the chicken is done.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hello gummz,

dmun is an experienced oven operator and a great cook who has learned "his" oven. He's given you good advice. You will learn how your oven cooks too. I think many newbies cook at too high a temperature and the food chars too much. None the less, few complain about their first attempts and always say how great the food tasted. You can move food around inside the oven to find the hot or cool spots and I do a lot of cooking of certain foods near the entrance. Cooking different foods at the same time doesn't seem to affect the individual flavors. Look at some of the photos of various foods cooked in a full oven. Yummy !!

Best,
      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f12/...ips-10112.html This is the post I started. I used Beef Short Ribs. Have a crack and good luck. Let us know how you go!

Scott

Comment

I just smoked some pork ribs and chicken in my oven and they turned out great. I sat the chicken up on a can holder and just put water in it and laid the ribs on a wire rack, flat an inch off the floor. Would have been better to use one that holds it upright, but didn't have one. I just got a smolder going and smoked them for about 3 hours for the chicken and 2 for ribs. I used a rub with just usual spices, paprika, garlic, salt, onion powder, black pepper, etc. They turned out fantastic. I heated up the oven after taking them out and made bread. I was trying to keep the oven around 250-300 and put foil over the top of the chicken with the door just cracked. I am in the Southern USA, so by law it has to be smoked or deep fried....

Last edited by kendunn; 07-26-2011, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Man those ribs sure look nice kendunn, I'm thinking of having my 1st crack at a pulled pork for my wife's 50th in a few weeks might try some of those ribs as well,
            just alittle concerned with getting it right with quite afew guest's coming although I have cooked low and slow a couple of times before..I've cooked the Christmas turkey the last few years in the oven so I know its tempreture/cooking characteristic's by now.
            One thing I've read is that it could help to put a pan of water in with the butt or ribs to help keep them moist... do you do this ? or think its necessary.

Regards.

Brett.

Comment

Hi gvzepp, All,

A wfo cooks with dry heat, that's a fact. Try the ribs with a pan of hot water under the ribs. You don't want a pan of cool water because it will suck up the hearth heat. Moist heat will make succulent ribs.

An option would be to baste the ribs with a mop sauce so they don't dry out. Both methods work. I tend not to baste or sauce the ribs while cooking because I use the water/drippings pan method.

If you have a yen for adventure then don't put plain hot water in the pan at all. Use beer, wine, diluted fruit juice, or rub spiced water. A tablespoon or so of rub spice will give the steam a nice aroma. Check on the liquid often because you don't want the pan to dry out. And, it is possible to overcook ribs even with a water pan.

Cheers,
              Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Originally posted by gvzepp View Post
                Man those ribs sure look nice kendunn, I'm thinking of having my 1st crack at a pulled pork for my wife's 50th in a few weeks might try some of those ribs as well,
                just alittle concerned with getting it right with quite afew guest's coming although I have cooked low and slow a couple of times before..I've cooked the Christmas turkey the last few years in the oven so I know its tempreture/cooking characteristic's by now.
                One thing I've read is that it could help to put a pan of water in with the butt or ribs to help keep them moist... do you do this ? or think its necessary.

Regards.

Brett.
                Hey Brett, Don't be skeered, this was my first time (and actually only the 3rd meal I have cooked in it)! I did have a little pan of water in there with mine, and I wasn't worried about it catching the heat, that would be a good thing as I was trying to keep it from getting too hot. I would put that butt in there maybe 8 hours before company comes and just try and keep your smolder going. It sounds like you know what to do (low and slow). I used dry oak and wet hickory. If you put some ribs in there just be sure and remove the membrane.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Hey Bob I like the sound of that, adding some of the rub to the water, as I wasn't going to mop a sauce during cooking...just provide a nice authentic American BBQ sauce for the guest's to add as much or little as they desire.
                  ( I better make sure that it's the right recipe though as I believe this argument triggered the American Civil War back in the 1860's

Kendunn, thanks for the tips, I'll have to find a substitute for oak & hickory though, not much of those woods here in Australia but I'll surely find something similar, from what I've read the meat takes on most of the smoke flavour in the 1st hour or so..just have to be careful not to over do it. Well done on your cooking adventures.. acouple of firings and your into chicken & ribs I'm sure you'll build up your WFO knowledge very quickly at that rate.

Regards.

Brett.

Comment

I cook my ribs on a rack placed over a baking pan. Under the rack I put quartered potatoes fessed with olive oil and rosemary. Sometimes I cook the fast and sometimes slow, both work well.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                    X