Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey in a primavera 60

Hi all,

Looking to do a turkey in the primavera 60. Does anyone know what size bird can fit through the oven opening?

Thanks

Re: Turkey in a primavera 60

Hi The Big O,

The opening of the oven is 9.5 in high and 16 inches wide. I don't know how big of a bird would fit, I would assume it would need to be small.

Hopefully someone on here will be able to answer this question.

Comment

Given that the diam. of the primavera is 24" and assuming its internal height is 12" then a 9.5" door height would be 80% of the internal dome height. Doesn't sound right to me. My oven has an internal diam of 21" and will just fit a 5Kg turkey under the oven door.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I have a 12.5 pound turkey, I'm thinking that's 5-6Kg that should fit through the opening. I'll have to do a test fit first. My next question is will I be using a live fire or radiant heat (no fire) to cook this turkey?

Comment

5Kg....about 12Lb. I think that should fit through the oven door. My next question is will I be using a live fire or radiant heat (no fire) to cook it?

Comment

I know this may sound silly, but I took a tape measure to the grocery store and actually measured various sized turkeys before buying. What I didn't note at the time is the height added by the pan/roaster rack under the turkey. Also be aware that since the oven opening is not rectangular in many WFOs, you can have tight fits (or problems) at the sides with a bigger turkey if the legs aren't tied in to the body.

Incidentally, if you haven't tried a dry brine on a turkey...it's something worth looking into. We did ours last year that way and it's a whole lot less work and definitely less messy. The best part was that with less work and mess, it had all the great flavors we'd come to expect from "wet brine" birds.
            Last edited by SableSprings; 11-15-2011, 10:38 AM.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by The Big O View Post
              I have a 12.5 pound turkey, I'm thinking that's 5-6Kg that should fit through the opening. I'll have to do a test fit first. My next question is will I be using a live fire or radiant heat (no fire) to cook this turkey?
              Generally for roasting you use the stored heat to cook rather than using an active fire, you don't want to burn the bird. Because it's a big roast and the oven is small, I'd be pumping a fair bit of heat into the oven then wait until it has dropped to roasting temp. Place the bird in when the oven is about 40F more than you would think because the bird will pull some heat out of the oven. It will then get a good initial hot roasting and then a more gentle slow roast.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. I'll be sure to post pics of the roasting turkey as it cooks.

Thanks again.

The Big O

Comment

My opening is 12.5 high x 19 wide. I cooked a 22 lb. turkey last year with no problems. Going through my notes it looks like the temp was around 500 deg. Cooks a little under 6 lbs an hour. I hope my notes are correct because I'm doing it again.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Great ...thanks for sharing, if you can forward me those notes...

Comment

Directions on what I did.

Note: oven is still not fully cured.

13 pound fully defrosted turkey, washed and stuffed with quartered orange and apple both ends and pinned shut.
                      One apple and one orange.

Layer of parsnips, carrots and quartered onion on floor of roasting pan with 3/4 cup of water.

Fire from night before left 600 degree dome and 520 degree floor.

Salted turkey outside and put some butter under the skin of breast.

Turkey in roaster on top of veggies, breast up, uncovered for 40 minutes, and then
                      Aluminum foil tent after.

Dome 550 and floor 500 at this point.

Removed tent at 2 hours, internal temp was 150 on bird, dome still 550 degrees.

Bird stayed in for another 30 minutes and removed at 165 internal temp.

Total cooking time 2.5 hours.

Nothing was burned, bottom of bird was not browned because it was sitting directly on veggies. Top was nicely browned and breast very juicy.

I would like to try a small smoldering apple coal pile the next time to add a little smoke to the bird but this time elected to go door on no fire.

The broth at the bottom of the pan made great gravy, and the bones were simmered in the oven for 4 hours at about 350 oven for soup the next day.

I would call my first turkey a success.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Chip what size oven do you have, and what size bird was it?? Thanks for sharing.

Franco

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post

13 pound fully defrosted turkey, washed and stuffed with quartered orange and apple both ends and pinned shut.
                          One apple and one orange.
                          42 inch brick.
                          Chip

Comment

Sorry Chip just saw the weight you mentioned in your prior post. My oven has only a 9" opening top to bottom, should be interesting to see how big a bird I can fit.

Comment

Chip,
                              It looks like you cooked 5.2 lbs an hour. I was a little under 6. It makes sense though because my bird was not stuffed. Oue temps were pretty close.
                              Last edited by Les; 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM.
                              Check out my pictures here:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X