Not having good roasting luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not having good roasting luck

I cooked a beef roast for three hours and only reached 105 internal meat temperature. The dome is 550 and hearth is 350. Should I maintain a bigger fire throughout the roasting?

Re: Not having good roasting luck

I usually maintain a fire while roasting as it adds smoke flavour plus the extra heat, if the oven is too hot I foil the meat for a while then unwrap to brown off.

I also cook on an elevated wire grill to get an even heat all around the meat.
    Heres one I prepared earlier.
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-15-2011, 03:34 PM. Reason: Topy
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie, what are the pans made out of that you use for roasting?

Comment

Originally posted by Grozio View Post
        I cooked a beef roast for three hours and only reached 105 internal meat temperature. The dome is 550 and hearth is 350. Should I maintain a bigger fire throughout the roasting?
        A few thoughts come to mind
        1.You have a big difference in the floor and dome temp. This might be because the oven is new and contains moisture resulting in much lower temperatures at the bottom of the oven.
        2.Did you bring the beef to room temp before placing it in the oven?
        3. Perhaps the oven was not sufficiently soaked with heat.

It is normal to place the roast in the oven at a higher temp than you would think because it will pull the temp down, then you get an initial blast of heat which crusts up the outside beautifully and then gives you a slower more gentle roast to finish. I usually remove half the coals, push the remainder to the edges of the oven, place the roast in the oven, throw on half a handful of smoking chips on the remaining coals, then shut the door tight. After about an hour when the roast is smelling really good, I remove it and test the internal temp with a probe thermometer, then replace the roast if need be.
        Last edited by david s; 12-15-2011, 02:17 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesleckner View Post
          Brickie, what are the pans made out of that you use for roasting?
          The one in the pic is a laminated stainless steel and copper one, most of the stuff we use is cast iron though.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
          X