Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

Well, I think I should start a new thread that is devoted just for roasting and grilling with my WFO.

Kick it off with cornish hens and asparagus.
    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Re: Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

After I cooked some pizza, I followed up with more wonderful dish for roasting. If you planned ahead, you can be creative with a lot of roasting and you can easily ended up with a full course meal out of your WFO.

Artichoke, stuffed mushroom w/ crabcake, and packed kosher salt red snapper from one single fire.
    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Roasted Cracklin' Pig
      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

And yes, you can do dessert in the WFO.

Bread pudding with puffing meringuy on the top. Men, shows your wives that WFO could be use for all of the baking and roasting need. And she will never have to clean inside of the oven because it clean itself everytime you use it!
        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
          Roasted Cracklin' Pig
          Looks fantastic!

Please let me know the details of cooking the pig. Time, temp, coverd or not, seasonings...

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by banhxeo76 View Post
            And yes, you can do dessert in the WFO.

Bread pudding with puffing meringuy on the top. Men, shows your wives that WFO could be use for all of the baking and roasting need. And she will never have to clean inside of the oven because it clean itself everytime you use it!
            Recipe please!!!

Comment

Very nice looking food you have pulled out of the WFO. Looking forward to more posts.

Comment

Originally posted by durangout View Post
                Looks fantastic!

Please let me know the details of cooking the pig. Time, temp, coverd or not, seasonings...

Thanks!
                Durangout, I got my instruction on the roast cracklin pork from youtube attached below.

Hong kong crispy roasted pork belly (Siu Yuk)

and here is the recipe for bread pudding, enjoy
                Light And Rich Bread Pudding
                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Re: Roasting and Grilling with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

Lobster was on sales yesterday for $6.50 per lb, just give me an excuse to use WFO. I brought two lobsters and weight about 6 lbs each. They were very big.

I tried to kill the lobster by cutting it in half but the poor thing wouldn't not stop moving its tail. So, I put both lobsters into the heated WFO for about 5 minutes and closed the door on them because I didn't hear want the lobsters pleading for their lives.

I then took it out and cut them in half and spooned some garlic and clarified butter over the tail meat and the head. I then slide them back into the WFO at 550 degree F and placed the door back on. After 22 minutes, it looked so tasty. I spooned more garlic and butter on the lobster. Not only it looked great, it tasted fantastic. This is my favorite way to eat lobster now. You can definitely tasted the wood and smoke which were penetrated into lobster meat but not overwhelming taking over the natural favor of the lobster.
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

As for side dish, I cooked some clams by using a cast iron pot which I recently purchased. To removed the sand from the clams, I soaked the clams in salt water for about 2 hours. I also mixed in a cup of corn meal (I got this idea from somewhere on the internet) into the salt water which will encourage the clams to split out the sand. For some strange, it worked because there were no sand in the clams whatsoever. I can't believe it.

I poured about 1 cup of white wine into the pot with the clams and covered it with a lit. I cooked the clams in WFO until the shells all opened up. I served the clams with some creamy butter garlic sauce over the pasta. I poured some clam's juice over the pasta and man, it was awesome.
                    Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-22-2012, 07:01 PM.
                    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Of course, you need to have your veggie if you are going to eat that much heavy food. I cooked some brussel sprout by using a recipe from Chef David Chang of NYC.

Spicy Brussels Sprouts with Mint Recipe - David Chang | Food & Wine

However, I did't use any rice cereal and mint like David Chang did for his recipe but it still came out great because I used WFO to cook my brussels sprouts. My wife usually don't care for brussels sprouts but I changed her feeling about brussels sprouts last night after she had some of my WFO brussels sprouts.
                      Last edited by banhxeo76; 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM.
                      Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

WOW...that lobster looks great!

Ever try crawfish in your WFO?
                        Live life like you're dying....without going bankrupt

Comment

I might do that when crawfish season start. I thought about that the other day but crawfish when it is just too small to split in half and prepared like I did with the lobster. However, I have done some crazy when it comes to cooking and I surely will give it a shot with crawfish after a few beer.
                          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Tu, The lobster looks great!
                            As for as the "mudbugs" go in the WFO, my first thoughts are crawfish etouffee, and definately some, left overs (from the boil as a pizza topping . Oops!, I think I just let one of my first dishes out of the bag .
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,

I believe a few people from this forum have tried mudbugs pizza and I may give it a shot during lent season. I have to say I am still in disbelief how amazing the WFO as a cooking tool. Granted that it may take a lot of time to heat up the WFO, but the joy that you get to use wood fire is so much fun. Have you fire up yet?
                              Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Working...
                              X