Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Roasting and Grill with WFO in the Big Easy, New Orleans!

Remove all of the aluminum foil and push it back in with the skin side up to get the skin cracklin. After 4 minutes of boiled, I checked on it. At first, not all of the skin did its cracklin like I would like. I had to do some more poking on the area of skin that didn’t have enough cracklin. For the area that has enough cracklin already, I placed the aluminum foil to cover that area to prevent being burnt. Pop it back into the oven and for another 3 to 4 minutes and it was prefect.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	292085
    As you can see, portion of the skin was burnt. I got knife and scrapped off the burnt section like you would do with burnt toast.

Name:	IMG_1767.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	292086
    I know it is a lot of work just to get the skin cracklin but it is so worth of it. If I didn’t do this, the skin would have a consistency of fatty rubber and that is a waste of pork belly's skin.

Name:	IMG_1768.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	292087
    Let it rest for 10 minutes and cut it up in smaller pieces. I served the roasted pork belly with vermicelli rice noodle and fish sauce. Taste very good with cold beer. Boy, I was a happy camper on Saturday night.
    Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Great recipee and an excelent description Tu,

I will definately be trying this in the near future. One funny thing about "pork belly". On one of the cooking channels recently, I saw a BBQ competition. One in which the competitors were given an "surprise" cut of meat to cook on charcoal grills. One of the competitors was a past Grand Champion BBQ Chef. I am sure hat he had eaten bacon all of his life but, for some reason, he did not know from what cut of pork it was cured. .
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I may try this roasted cauliflower for Thanksgiving. At 55 second, you will get to see this a really cool pizza oven because the hearth floor is spinning which make it easy to load stuff in and out of the oven. This guy the video is Alon Shaya who is head chef at Domenica (New Orleans) and they make a very good traditional thin crust Italian pizza.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf..._flyout_living

scroll down and click to play the video from nola.com
        Last edited by banhxeo76; 11-26-2012, 02:47 PM.
        Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

About one month ago, I cook some ribeyes directly on the heated firebrick just to see what will happen. I was not happy with the result because it seemed like firebrick was steaming the steak rather than searing like it would with a cast iron.

On Saturaday, my older brother dropped by and saw that we had WFO on for pizza. He left and came back with some fatty ribeyes. After we done with the pizza, I moved some of the ember to the opposite side and create a path in the middle. Put a little bit more wood to charge up the hearth. Heat up the cast iron and cook the ribeyes. You ready don't need to flip the steak over when you cooking this method because the flare from the top will cook the steak on the top like when you are cooking pizza. My weber is looking more loney everyday.
          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

....and some jumbo gulf shrimps with the head on of course. I removed the shrimp shell but keep the tail section and the head on. By keeping the head on, it gave a lot of great favor. I used the great New Orleans Chef Paul Prudhomme's seasoning for shrimp called Shrimp Magic to marinate the shrimp. This shrimp tasted great with grits. I just love sucking the head like you do with crawfish. Okay, that sounds dirty but if you live in the south, you know what I am talking about.
            Last edited by banhxeo76; 03-18-2013, 07:49 AM.
            Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Tu,

How much you weigh, if you eat everything you cook you must look like K Paul. Btw, I quite enjoyed his resturant when I was there last.

You dishes look scrumptous.............
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Tu, just gotta second Dougs comments.....thanks for posting these pics.
                Cheers
                Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                  Tu,

How much you weigh, if you eat everything you cook you must look like K Paul.
                  Do you trust a skinny Chef? I am not fat, just very round in the middle.

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                  Tu,

Tu, thanks for sharing your recipes they are certainly inspirational.
                  KD, I am just trying to keep up with your wonderful cooking skill. Thanks for the compliment.
                  Who Dat?

Tu Dat

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                    Tu,

How much you weigh, if you eat everything you cook you must look like K Paul.
                    I met Tu Friday. He's got a ways to go to catch up to Paul Prudhomme.

Comment

Hey Tu, your food post and WFO built is super inspiring. A dream to build my own WFO is coming together slowly in my head. Thank you for the great post.

Comment

Man im loving everything posted, this is my kind of cooking. Keep em coming
                        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Working...
                        X