Question about beer can chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about beer can chicken

Quick question. How long should I wait after making pizzas to begin to cook a beer can chicken? Just a rough guide.
    Thanks

Re: Question about beer can chicken

Originally posted by asimenia View Post
    Quick question. How long should I wait after making pizzas to begin to cook a beer can chicken? Just a rough guide.
    Thanks

It all depends on your oven and how quickly it cools down, all ovens cool at different rates.

Id be getting a thermometer in there and when the oven is around 250 to 300C chuck the chook in.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks for answering. Just checked - don't think I will be able to fit the chicken through the door, but will have a go - even if it means struggling to make it stand.

Comment

Thanks for answering. Just checked - don't think I will be able to fit the chicken through the door, but will have a go - even if it means struggling to make it stand.
        Here is what I would do. Bend up 2 wires to go over the beer can in the shape shown on the attached picture. You should be able to assemble this just inside the entry of the oven and put the chicken on top. because the temperatures will not be extremely high.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

cover your chicken with strips of bacon and use toothpicks to keep the bacon in place, the bacon then burns/crips before the chicken skin and it adds a devine flavour...

Comment

Haven't tried the bacon, sounds excellent! Beer can chicken has been one of my all time favorites, although when the garden was in full production I made a roast chicken with all sorts of veggies underneath. Then ran the veggies thru the processor to make the worlds best gravy! Awesome!

Comment

i tip one third of the beer out of the can and then add a sprig of thyme, some fresh oregano and a clove of garlic to the beer inside the can..and yip beer can chicken pizza oven style is the bestest...i did some searching for the best BCC stands and found a good heavy duty one (so brought four), i dont stand mine in a tray though i let it drip straight onto oven floor...i shall have to try the tray next time..we're just coming into summer here now so its almost time to fire her up

Comment

Yumm! I grow sage, rosemary and basil in the garden, so usually some combination of those with garlic cloves, celery and carrots in the cavity. Sounds like we're both on the same track! Next year I'll plant some thyme and give that a try. The roast with veggies is done in a roasting pan.
                I'll bet you have the best olive oil!

Comment

Asimenia,

You can buy a stand everywhere, ebay, amazon, Walmart, etc... You should be able to slide the stand/can into the oven, then reach in and slide the chicken onto it. The temps are hot but fairly reasonable at the entry and the chicken is cold (so you only burn the back of your hands )

I pretty much cook a chicken on the day after pizza every time. Still working on the third day after fire menu.
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Purplegoanna View Post
                    i tip one third of the beer out of the can and then add a sprig of thyme, some fresh oregano and a clove of garlic to the beer inside the can..and yip beer can chicken pizza oven style is the bestest...i did some searching for the best BCC stands and found a good heavy duty one (so brought four), i dont stand mine in a tray though i let it drip straight onto oven floor...i shall have to try the tray next time..we're just coming into summer here now so its almost time to fire her up
                    why wait till summer i have mine fired up year round.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

still haven't tried it - oven is too hot straight after pizzas and as we usually make pizzas late in the evening - the only real time is to cook the chicken in the middle of the night! I ain't getting up to do that - my pizza nights usually involve a large amount of wine drinking as well! The oven is probably only about 100c in the morning - obviously doesn't hold heat very well. I suppose I could add some more wood to cook in the morn - Got to try this!!!! As for the 'summer is approaching' by Purplegoanna - I'm the opposite - I've been waiting for autumn (fall) to start using my oven again - too damn hot in summer!

Comment

still haven't tried it - oven is too hot straight after pizzas and as we usually make pizzas late in the evening - the only real time is to cook the chicken in the middle of the night! I ain't getting up to do that - my pizza nights usually involve a large amount of wine drinking as well! The oven is probably only about 100c in the morning - obviously doesn't hold heat very well. I suppose I could add some more wood to cook in the morn - Got to try this!!!! As for the 'summer is approaching' by Purplegoanna - I'm the opposite - I've been waiting for autumn (fall) to start using my oven again - too damn hot in summer!
                        Cook with a small fire over to the side and turn the chicken as it cooks, it will turn out great, No need for a nuclear fire.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

I am thinking of doing a beer can chicken tomarrow it will have been 2 days since the fire but I must have let the thing get too hot as I am afraid I will still be over 600F does anybody think that will be to hot? Or will it just be a quick cook? I checked the temp tonight an 30 hours after I put the door on I was around 750-775Fso I am guessing mid to high 600 range would that be like 30 min for a 6lb bird?

Randy

Comment

600 F two days after the pizza or whatever fire? That is some oven you have there Randy.
                            The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Thanks dakzaag. Do you think I should cover the bird with tinfoil to hopefully keep it from burning or should I wait till I am at a lower temp?

Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X