Smoked Pork Shoulder in WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Pork Shoulder in WFO

Was always wondering about smoking a pork shoulder in the WFO, since I'd heard they don't make the best smokers. Well that may be true, but the 10 lb Boston butt we did this weekend came out better than any I've had.

I lit a chimney full of natural charcoal and pushed to one side, while placing the pork (dry rubbed for about 12 hours beforehand) slightly raised off a cast iron pan on the other side of the oven. I left the door just on the front side of the chimney.

I then put a tin foil packet of soaked apple wood chips on the coals and let smoke uncovered for 2 hours with average oven temperature in the high 200s. I then poured a bottle of hard cider in the cast iron, covered with foil, and closed the door to cook overnight. Then Sunday after church, I still had some good coals, but internal temp on the shoulder was only 160, so I threw another chimney full of lump charcoal a couple hours before people were coming over to bring temp up a little bit.
    To make sure I had a good crust at this point, I rubbed a little more brown sugar and salt to caramelize and basted a little with the cider/pork juices from pan and left uncovered in the oven around 300 for 2 more hours, before letting rest covered.

The results were amazing, and it was very easily shredded, but still very juicy. I would strongly encourage fellow WFO'ers to try it.

Re: Smoked Pork Shoulder in WFO

That looks great..nice color!!
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Pork is one of the nicest meals out of the WFO.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yep! I did a 7 1/2 lbs pork shoulder also. I brined mine for a day to prevent having to put any liquid in my oven. The bark on your prok wooks wonderful! Mine, not so much, but it was tasty and tender.

Comment

I've been wanting to try David Chang's Bo Ssam Pork in the WFO. You got my wheels turning! Well done!

Comment

Dang, I can almost smell that through my computer!!!!

Comment

Brad,

Thanks for mentioning the Bo Ssam Pork. I have vaguely heard of Momofuku before and am also interested in trying this technique in my oven as well!

Comment

Originally posted by kkgator View Post
                Brad,

Thanks for mentioning the Bo Ssam Pork. I have vaguely heard of Momofuku before and am also interested in trying this technique in my oven as well!
                No problem, if you beat me to it, post some pictures! The tough part will be managing the heat. That's also the fun part though! I've been to a few of his restaurants in NY and it is always amazing. Definitely add them to your "list"!

Recipe:
                http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/ma...acle.html?_r=0

Here are a couple pics from the time I made this in my home oven. I think it was truly one of my favorite meals I ever made. It was just one of those nights. We didn't have plans and invited a few friends over and all had such a good time together.

Comment

I did this about 2 weeks ago and it turned out awesome. Better than the few shoulder's I've smoked in my actual smoker, although it's just a cheap electric smoker from Home Depot.

5 lb boneless pork shoulder was brined for 24 hours (1 cup water, 1 cup apple juice, 1 tbs salt, 1 tbs sugar, and 1 tbs rub). After brining I coated it with the rub and dijon mustard and wrapped it to sit in the fridge overnight. Shoulder was removed from fridge and sat at room temp for an hour before smoking.

Cooked in the oven the night before, and after I was done cooking threw one more log on. Then set the door in place just slightly ajar and forward to allow some air in and smoke out the chimney. My parent's oven isn't the best insulated and doesn't hold heat as well overnight, which is why I left a log on.

The next morning at 5am there were still some hot embers/coals in the oven, and the floor/ceiling was 235/285. Threw a handful of (unlit) lump charcoal on the embers with some soaked oak chips. Pork was set on a tuscan grill over an aluminum foil pan filled with hot water and apple juice. After an hour I threw another handful of lump charcoal and soaked wood chips on the ember pile and closed the door with just a crack opening.

Overall it went for about 8 hours. The first few hours ran a little cold, and halfway through I half a chimney full of lump charcoal and threw it in the oven. This brought the oven temp up to around 250, whereas the first few hours it was just over 200. Two hours before removing it, I brushed it liberally with a mixture of bbq sauce, rub, oil, maple syrup, and mustard.

When it came out, it had a beautiful crusty bark and pulled right apart. Had some nice smoke flavor to it, but probably could have used a little more. For my wife it was just the right amount of smoke.

The two pictures of the pork cooking were taken at 3 hours in and 6 hours in. Didn't get a picture of the finished product, as I was away from the house and had my wife remove and wrap it.

Comment

Maybe someone can help me I have a 32 by 48 brick barrel oven. I'm going to cook bunch of pork shoulder so many can I do in 1 firing? Can I cover the floor? It holds heat pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by fretlander View Post
                      Maybe someone can help me I have a 32 by 48 brick barrel oven. I'm going to cook bunch of pork shoulder so many can I do in 1 firing? Can I cover the floor? It holds heat pretty well.
                      All I can tell you is when I do pulled pork in my smoker it takes anywhere from 18 to as long as 24 hours for them to be finished when holding a steady 225*. So if your oven can hold steady in the 225-250* for up to 24 hrs you'll be good to go.
                      Chris

Link to my photo album:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

It can. Last fire, it was @ 200+ 48 hours later. Thank you for your reply.

Comment

A tip I read about the other day suggested that once the pork shoulder hits an internal temp of 170* to wrap it tightly in foil untill it reaches the final temp " I pull out at 195-200* I'm going to give it a try today as I'm doing 60 ish pounds for a grad party tomorrow.

Also I suggest that you make sure to let the meat rest atleast 30 min to an hour before pulling to allow juices to redistribute and its little cooler on the hands when pulling
                          Chris

Link to my photo album:
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Thanks Chris, I'll look forward to hearing your results!
                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X