Cedar Plank Salmon - blows the grill away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Plank Salmon - blows the grill away

Another family favorite out of the WFO is salmon. I use the flash smoke method, but use higher heat than for chicken, or ribs. IT comes out moist and delicious and has a light smokey flavor. We usually cook two large fillets so there are leftovers for the next few days to snack on and make sandwiches.

The salmon we like best is the farm raised Atlantic Salmon. I prepare it by dribbling it with olive oil and use Everglade seasoning while I fire the oven. The salmon is then placed on Cedar planks that have been soaked in water. I have re-used the planks so many times that they are saturated with oil and probably dont soak up any of the water.

The oven: Burn a good fire for about 60-90 minutes. Not quite pizza temp. Push the fire to the side and let it burn down to embers. Oven should still be pretty hot to do it right. Throw on some smoking wood on top of the embers ( I use Hickory twigs for all my smoking because I have a bunch of them on my property and it is convenient). Allow the hickory sticks to catch fire then place the salmon planks right on to the middle of the oven floor uncovered and shut the door. I place the thickest part of the fillet closest to the fire. If you did it right it will be super smokey and hot inside your oven. Takes about 12-15 minutes to cook them. I pull them out when the temp is 145 f in the thickest part.

You will love it. I think it is one of the best meals out of the oven aside from pizza. I think we may make some this week and I will post pictures

Re: Cedar Plank Salmon - blows the grill away

Sounds good
    Never heard of the Everglade seasoning so I googled and should be able to make my own version.

The Sneaky Ingredients in Seasonings | Family Gone Healthy

Comment

This sounds good!

I'm in the process of finishing our oven so a newbie. When you shut the door on your oven, doesn't the fire die out or do you not completely block the door? Guess I've seen the posts about shutting the door while a fire is burning and getting a real flash when you open the door later.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Comment

Mouth watering ideas!! I am going to try your technique!

The only thing I would add... if you ever get a chance to go Salmon fishing and catch your own - the taste cannot be beat! My son and I went fishing about 10 miles West of the Golden Gate two weeks ago and came back with about 50 pounds of Salmon between us. We were eating Salmon Filets 4 hours later and I cannot describe how good that was!

Of course that might be a little hard in "Missoura!"

Comment

Have to agree with you Boer... There is no comparison to fresh ocean run...I lived for a while in Wash st. Mt. Vernon,... Clearlake I could catch a few Dolly's any time I wanted, and well the salmon....I am wondering what type of cedar the poster is using...There is no white cedar in Missouri...I can't imagine using the red aromatic that is prevalant....The kind used for moth closets....May be I'm wrong, built my back room out of red cedar, used to smell ...don't now.... any way I know plank salmon is real good..
          " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

Cedar planks for cooking are typically western red cedar. Northern white cedar grows in the northern central US. In Missouri and southern Illinois we have eastern red cedar which would be really nasty to cook with...at least in my opinion.

jon
            jon

Comment

I just posted a cedar plank salmon I did. I love your idea of smoking it up in the oven with a closed door! Awesome idea! I did mine at pizza temps and the plank was eventually sacrificed to the oven in a blaze of glory.

Also, I put my plank on a sheet pan to catch any drippings from going on the floor. Do you think the oils would just burn off the floor if they did find their way there?

Awesome! Can't wait to try your method...maybe tonight!

Brad

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/salmon-19968.html

Comment

I've seen these but I have wondered if they burn when you put them in the WFO?? If I understand the plank method, you soak it for a few hours before?
                Where can I find logs? I need more!
                Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

G'day
                  I'm still confused on what type of cedar?
                  We get western red cedar imported her in Ozz will that do?
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I used white cedar...I have heard that red cedar is too aromatic. Red cedar is the stuff they use in hamster cages and cedar closets. White cedar is used in construction.

Comment

G'day jeeppiper
                      Thanks for your reply.
                      From you description it sound like the red cedar we get here. I was thinking perhaps some hoop pine planking as its locally available and is not resin laden like a lot of other timbers and smells mild when burnt.
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by thickstrings View Post
                        Have to agree with you Boer... There is no comparison to fresh ocean run...I lived for a while in Wash st. Mt. Vernon,... Clearlake I could catch a few Dolly's any time I wanted, and well the salmon....I am wondering what type of cedar the poster is using...There is no white cedar in Missouri...I can't imagine using the red aromatic that is prevalant....The kind used for moth closets....May be I'm wrong, built my back room out of red cedar, used to smell ...don't now.... any way I know plank salmon is real good..
                        Another vote for wild salmon caught dime bright in the ocean, you'll never eat farmed salmon again!

And while not an oven, it was wood fired

Some butter infused with garlic, lemon juice and dill and on the grill just long enough for the flesh to firm up.

Comment

That Salmon looks amazing, but I prefer Cod, Pollock. Brings back memories of when I went sea fishing with my father some 30 years ago.

I hope you enjoyed it
                          Where can I find logs? I need more!
                          Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Also from Missoura and this recipe is intriguing as I can guess at the results. As most of the other comments in this thread are critical about farm salmon (me too, sorry), I'm going to suggest some pond raised large mouth bass with some extra fat somehow, maybe wrapped/topped in bacon? Inspiring technique/method though! Must try although all our pond has harvestable at the moment is bluegills... maybe if I wrap a stack of fillets in a nice bacon?

Comment

Working...
                            X