Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prawns Pil Pil (Sizzling Shrimp)

Hey XJ,
    This is Gambas Pil Pil -- I think it originally comes from the south of Spain, around Andalucia. We had it once in Granada, and it was amazing. The prawns were probably in the sea earlier that day and the olive oil was great.

James

Gambas Pil-Pil (Sizzling Prawns)
    Roast and serve this dish in individual terracotta dishes
    Ingredients
    ? Half a cup good quality olive oil
    ? 4 garlic cloves very thinly sliced
    ? 1 small fresh red chili seeded and chopped
    ? About half pound of raw Prawns, peeled and salted
    ? 2 Tbl of chopped fresh parsley lemon wedges
    ? Bread to serve
    Preparation
    ? In a hot oven with a live flame, heat the olive oil in each individual terracotta dish.
    ? Add garlic and chili and cook for 1 to 2 minutes making sure that they do not burn.
    ? Add the salt and prawns and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes at a brisk pace.
    ? Stir in the parsley.
    ? Serve quickly so that the prawns are still sizzling in the cooking juices and accompany with bread and lemon wedges.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Prawns Pil Pil (Sizzling Shrimp)

James, I think we get that at a tapa bar in Grand Rapids...here too!

also known as Gambas al ajillo (Shrimp with garlic)

....just love to dip the bread in the hot garlic olive oil
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Hey guys, glad I found this thread.

I've had pils pils in Marbella (Spain) and it has to be one of those dishes you have to have in your lifetime!

I don't remember it having parsley, but hey, after a few beers, memory is somewhat 'loose'! LOL!

A fantastic OT tapas treat. I did buy some pil pils mixture of herbs etc in a Spanish market many years ago, but the results on my puny electric oven back then put me off doing that - the authentic way so superior!

A cold dish, that I would highly recommend, is 'patatas ali oli' - cold potatoes in MASSIVELY garlicky creamy mayo sauce! You'll NEVER be size 10 again!

Adios, bonne nuit all.

Comment

Originally posted by Puy de Dome View Post
        Hey guys, glad I found this thread.

I've had pils pils in Marbella (Spain) and it has to be one of those dishes you have to have in your lifetime!
        We had that same, great experience dining outdoors in Granada -- about 20 years ago. Between the local wine, the shrimp fresh off the boat and the local olive oil (and the pepper) it took your breath away.

Memories...
        James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
        X