Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Possum Korn"

Butter injected under the husks of corn on the cob

It's getting a little late in the season down here for fresh sweet corn but, I just thought that I would post what I have been experimenting with for a year or so. That is injecting the corn with butter, salt and other seasonings.

I just melt butter, add a little salt, and mix well. Sometimes, I add a little garlic powder, and onion powder to the mix. I use a meat injector to place the seasoning between the husk and the kernels. I use about 20 ml's per ear, and inject about 15 at the thick end and the rest at the top of the ear.

I have used this method on my grill, in my WFO, a conventional oven, and even in the microwave. It always turns out great.

One extra tip: When the corn is done, cut it at the bottom. Make sure that you have cut it high enough to cut through all husks.

Use an insulated glove or wrap a paper towel around the top of the ear. Now squeeze, and the meat of the ear will pop out like a new born calf.

Most of the time, all the silk will be still in the husk, and only a clean (already seasoned) ear of corn will be left in the plate. That little trick will impress the heck out of your guests. Just show them how, and they will get a kick out of doing it for themselves .

From what I have found, less seems to turn out better. I have tried creole seasonings with mixed results. Black pepper (even fine ground) seems to always stop up the needle. Just butter and a little salt always turns out great. Maybe, you can find the perfect seasoning for this method. If you do, please let me know first.

The sqeeze trick is not mine, I stumbled across it on the internet. But, so far, I haven't found the injected corn on there. I thought of that on my own. If no one else claims the title, I would like it to be called "possum korn".

I will explain that later.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Re: "Possum Korn"

G'day
    We done..... I could even say I could find that addictive pun intended.
    Seriously I've try pealing the husk back to get some butter in there, but usually just results in more grease stains on the hearth bricks.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Butter injected

Use an insulated glove or wrap a paper towel around the top of the ear. Now squeeze, and the meat of the ear will pop out like a new born calf.

I would like it to be called "possum korn".
      Posum corn looks like something i'm gonna have to try. If most of the silk stays put, Im excited. Its the one thing I hate about peeling corn, the dam silk.
      Chris

Link to my photo album:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Originally posted by hodgey1 View Post
        Posum corn looks like something i'm gonna have to try. If most of the silk stays put, Im excited. Its the one thing I hate about peeling corn, the dam silk.

"Possum Korn" Injecting the corn with butter and seasoning is something that I have been experimenting with for a couple of years.

The squeeze works great for microwaved corn, even without injecting. That trick has been around for some time now. I think, well before I started playing with injecting. I stumbled on it last year while googling "corn on the cob in the husk". I'm not sure if it will work on oven roasted corn without the butter, though.

Check this clip out for microwaved corn in the husk.

Enjoy,
        Last edited by Gulf; 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          "Possum Korn" Injecting the corn with butter and seasoning is something that I have been experimenting with for a couple of years.

The squeeze works great for microwaved corn, even without injecting. That trick has been around for some time now. I think, well before I started playing with injecting. I stumbled on it last year while googling "corn on the cob in the husk". I'm not sure if it will work on oven roasted corn without the butter, though.

Check this clip out for microwaved corn in the husk.

Enjoy,
          Thanks Gulf!
          Chris

Link to my photo album:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Possum Korn sounds like a winner!

Comment

Sounds much better than the roasted squirrel recipe. LOL. Gona try this one on the next firing.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Sounds much better than the roasted squirrel recipe. LOL. Gona try this one on the next firing.
                I guess that depends on where your from. Down here, the corn would be just a side dish to the squirrell. That is, if they were both in season at the same time .

Thanks Russell, I think that you will like it

Comment

This sounds lovely and I've never heard of the pop out method bit of drama at the table ! For other flavours you could heat them together slowly with the butter in a pan then pour through a fine sieve before putting in your meat injector my fav is chilli butter and garlic half of each slowly heated in the butter also clarifies the butter for you!
                  link to my effort http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/7...art-20707.html

"95% reading this forum 5% building"

Comment

Thanks,
                    I will definately be trying that, or at least, something very similar to it .

Comment

I lived in Houston for a while and a grocery store I shopped at always had a guy selling roasted corn seasoned with chili, cumin, salt and crumbled Mexican cheese. I've made it like that but pulled back the husk and added the seasoning before cooking in the husk. i need to try out an injection.

Comment

I had some great! roasted corn at a flea market in Mobile, Alabama last weekend. Probably, the best that I have ever had from any concession. I buy a stick every trip. They advertise advertise as yellow corn, but I would bet the farm, that what I had last weekend was sweet corn. I doubt that they inject, but it was real good. I am pretty sure that they roast in the shuck. Corn: roasted while sealed inside it's own shuck, in it's natural juices is great, even if it is not injected. I did notice though, that they still had some silk left on the ear. The pealed back shucks make a convenient handle for someone who is eating, while walking around looking at the booths. Their corn is good, but all the seasoning is added after the cook by the customer. That is pobably a great idea, if you are trying to please folks from all over the world.

I have found that injecting with butter helps the squeeze method to work much better for grilled or roasted corn. And, some added seasonings helps too. Kurt, you being from, South Louisana, I bet that you would know what seasonings that your guests would like

Comment

Had a 345F temp in the oven from my last bread bake and thought I'd try out the Possum Korn method. I didn't have a meat injector, so I just peeled back a section and smeared in some butter. I put a layer of tin foil on a half sheet pan and laid the cobs on it. Since I thought my temp was a little low, I left 'em in for 40 minutes. Cut the ends & squeezed as Gulf described and the "cleaned" ears came out pretty nice. Ground up some cumin & pepper and then lightly crushed some sea salt with the crushed spice mix to sprinkle over the ears. Easy clean-up, great flavor, and really fun...I think I'll be hard pressed to go back to doing my corn any other way.

Now I guess I'll have to find a meat/corn injector and try a little bit higher temps to get a bit more of that good roasted flavor...by the way, what temps do you shoot for with this method?

Thanks for posting this Gulf!
                          Last edited by SableSprings; 08-10-2014, 11:41 AM.
                          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
                          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
                          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
                          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by leetheldc View Post
                            ............For other flavours you could heat them together slowly with the butter in a pan then pour through a fine sieve before putting in your meat injector my fav is chilli butter and garlic half of each slowly heated in the butter also clarifies the butter for you!
                            I just caught the clarified butter part of your post. That is interesting. I had never heard of the term.

"Clarified butter is milk fat rendered from butter to separate the milk solids and water from the butterfat.[1] Typically, it is produced by melting butter and allowing the components to separate by density. The water evaporates, some solids float to the surface and are skimmed off, and the remainder of the milk solids sink to the bottom and are left behind when the butter fat (which would then be on top) is poured off."

Clarified butter has a higher smoke point (485 ?F or 252 ?C) than regular butter (325-375 ?F or 163-190 ?C), and is therefore preferred in some cooking applications, such as saut?ing. Clarified butter also has a much longer shelf life than fresh butter. It has negligible amounts of lactose and casein and is, therefore, acceptable to most who have a lactose intolerance or milk allergy.

Those are just a couple of exerpts from the Wikipedia link above. The regional variatons of clarified butter are every bit as interesting to me. Thanks, very much! for that post. I think that it will help me get to the flavor of the corn that I am looking for, but I am sure that the info will help me a lot in some of the Southern style dishes that I am wanting to perfect in the oven .

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
                            I lived in Houston for a while and a grocery store I shopped at always had a guy selling roasted corn seasoned with chili, cumin, salt and crumbled Mexican cheese. I've made it like that but pulled back the husk and added the seasoning before cooking in the husk. i need to try out an injection.

Kurt,
                            I saw a link on Google for a Mexican recipe for roasted corn similar to what you described with the cheese. It said that instead of butter, it was popular to use mayonaise. That is something to look in to.

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
                            Had a 345F temp in the oven from my last bread bake and thought I'd try out the Possum Korn method. I didn't have a meat injector, so I just peeled back a section and smeared in some butter. I put a layer of tin foil on a half sheet pan and laid the cobs on it. Since I thought my temp was a little low, I left 'em in for 40 minutes. Cut the ends & squeezed as Gulf described and the "cleaned" ears came out pretty nice. Ground up some cumin & pepper and then lightly crushed some sea salt with the crushed spice mix to sprinkle over the ears. Easy clean-up, great flavor, and really fun...I think I'll be hard pressed to go back to doing my corn any other way.

Now I guess I'll have to find a meat/corn injector and try a little bit higher temps to get a bit more of that good roasted flavor...by the way, what temps do you shoot for with this method?

Thanks for posting this Gulf!
                            You're welcome Sablesprings,

I like 350 degrees F, for 30 to 40 minutes, in the oven or on the grill with indirect heat. I use 30 to 40 minutes (with a little guess work) for the time. Since, (WFOs, stick fired, lump, or charcoal fired grills) can be a little difficult to regulate the starting temp, you will have to adjust the cooking time.

As for the last part of your post, get the small needle found on the shelf in most supermarkets. Some, on another forum, have found that the larger needle used for meat injecton is too large and will take out a whole row of kernels, when injected from the ends as advised. You may try the higher heat and maybe longer temps. Please report your results if you find that it works. But, I think that the flavor that you are looking for is the carmelization of the sugars. Roasting corn in its husks traps the natural flavors inside for a steamed corn effect. I don't know if you will get that from injecting and baking alone.
                            "to get a bit more of that good roasted flavor".I am not sure, but you may be describing grilled corn. That is great too. But, the corn is cooked necked (direct or indirect) heat above live coals. That can do a little drying out. I think that you might want to try cooking your corn in it's own juices. Separate the corn from it's husks, then sear (carmelize) the corn over open coals. You might want to dip your corn in a special BBQ butter, before and after, the open coals. I am looking into this one by BobbyFlay and a take on Leetheldc's recipee. A sugestion from another forum was "smoked butter". Clarified, and smoked butter is worthy of thread of it's own. Just remember that solids are not injected real well through a small needle.

Comment

Gulf - Clarified butter is a staple in some countries and can be purchased in cans and is sold as GHEE. Better to cook with because the milk solids and other impurities are the bits that burn and GHEE handles the heat a little better. One of the countries that exported a lot of this is Australia.

I too like to cook corn in the husk but have never imagined cooking corn becoming an art form and it seems you guys have already done that. It is listen an learn for me with this.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                              X