Smoke Ring on Baby Back Ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke Ring on Baby Back Ribs

Hi Guys, I am a big smoker fan. I am able to produce a perfect baby back on my Brazilian BBQ. However takes a lot of work and effort. I was wondering if anyone had great success on baby back ribs on the WFO. if so were you ever able to produce a smoke ring on it? let me know. Look forward to replies.
    Best Regards...
    Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
    Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
    STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Re: Smoke Ring on Baby Back Ribs

G'day
    A wood fired ovens great for low and slow. It will hold those low temps for hours. As for smoke at those low temps. No. You need oxygen for smoke, crack the insulated door and you loss that heat.
    I have a wood fired oven, a mini WSM, and a weber Q200. They are each great for the tasks that suit best.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
      G'day
      A wood fired ovens great for low and slow. It will hold those low temps for hours. As for smoke at those low temps. No. You need oxygen for smoke, crack the insulated door and you loss that heat.
      I have a wood fired oven, a mini WSM, and a weber Q200. They are each great for the tasks that suit best.
      Regards dave
      So basically what you are saying is WFO is not a good smoker at all? I hope other members think other wise as This is the first thing I will be trying to do on the oven. I will be insulating my oven to the extreme so I hope it will hold temp good.
      Best Regards...
      Gugahulk!

My Build...

Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.

Comment

I think the oven makes a great smoker. I seem to get just enough air to keep the embers going and a solid smoke going. The only thing that i need to remember is that my oven needs to be a little cooler than would be normal from a smoker because the small coal bed and the already warm bricks work together to keep the heat up. Your mileage may vary..

I did not make a special door for smoking but it could easily be done, directing some fresh air to the coal bed and leaving a small exit point for smoke. I would experiment with your normal insulated door first before building a custom door. And you can smoke without anything in the oven just to figure out the way the oven performs. Just add a stainless bowl of water into the oven to simulate the humidity given off by the meat.

You will want something to elevate your meats, I use a Tuscan grill. But some type of hanger would work well also.

The great thing about smoking in there is cleanup is a breeze just start a new fire and all if the drippings burn away.
        Last edited by mrchipster; 07-07-2015, 06:58 AM.
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
          I think the oven makes a great smoker. I seem to get just enough air to keep the embers going and a solid smoke going. The only thing that i need to remember is that my oven needs to be a little cooler than would be normal from a smoker because the small coal bed and the already warm bricks work together to keep the heat up. Your mileage may vary..

You will want something to elevate your meats, I use a Tuscan grill.

The great thing about smoking in there is cleanup is a breeze just start a new fire and all if the drippings burn away.
          Chip I must say, those look really good, you have to tell me who you made those. I can't wait to try it.
          Best Regards...
          Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

I'm with Cobblerdave. I have smoked dozens of pork shoulders, briskets and ribs on my offset smoker with much success and yes, a viable smoke ring on all. I tried to repeat this process in my WFO and failed miserably.

Both times I tried it in my 230F WFO (door on, and door ajar) my pork shoulders cooked ok, but without that fatty, pork-a-licious sweetness we're used to. Without the proper ratio of heat/airflow, they came out closer to boiled.

I'm thinking that in a smoker where the fire chamber is external to the cooking chamber, this highly-tunable heat/airflow is what makes the magic happen.

I once saw at the local fair a giant firebrick-lined smoker, but it too, ran the fire external to the cooking chamber and multiple baffles/vents for control.
            Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 07-07-2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
              I'm with Cobblerdave. I have smoked dozens of pork shoulders, briskets and ribs on my offset smoker with much success and yes, a viable smoke ring on all. I tried to repeat this process in my WFO and failed miserably.

Both times I tried it in my 230F WFO (door on, and door ajar) my pork shoulders cooked ok, but without that fatty, pork-a-licious sweetness we're used to. Without the proper ratio of heat/airflow, they came out closer to boiled.

I'm thinking that in a smoker where the fire chamber is external to the cooking chamber, this highly-tunable heat/airflow is what makes the magic happen.

I once saw at the local fair a giant firebrick-lined smoker, but it too, ran the fire external to the cooking chamber and multiple baffles/vents for control.
              So since you have done both, you would say that in the smoker the meat will come out 100 times better than the WFO? The reason I am asking is because I am thinking about purchasing a Traeger Smoker. I was not sure of doing so until I tried to smoke something in the WFO as I thought it was be the best. I would like to hear your point on this so I can make a decision as you have done meat in both WFO and Smoker.
              Best Regards...
              Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

So since you have done both, you would say that in the smoker the meat will come out 100 times better than the WFO?
                I wouldn't say 100 times, but much better (for me). Smokers work best for smoking. WFO's a better tool for pizza, bread, etc.

The Traeger smokers are nice. Will do a great job on your ribs.

Comment

Dave,
                  The Mini-WSM is a great little smoker. I think it was sort of designed for what we call "tailgaters" and "empty nesters". But, it is surprising just how much food can be cooked on one. So far, I've built 3 knockoffs using a Mini-Smokey Joe and a 32 quart tamale pot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mimi WSM 021.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	506.5 KB
ID:	308995
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

G'day
                    I was so underwhelmed with the WFO ability to smoke I built a mini WSM as well.
                    It's so frugile on fuel its unbelievable. It's taught me heaps about smokers without the expensive price tag. It smokes really well and I've just reciently taken out the heat baffle and open the stops and ran it as an ugly drum smoker.
                    Best chicken I could have ever cooked, just salt and pepper and the flavour of the drippings smoking off the hot charcoal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	308996

Regards dave
                    Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-08-2015, 02:02 AM.
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Mr. Hulk,

Just had to compliment you on the look of your ribs. Can you share your process?

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                        Mr. Hulk,

Just had to compliment you on the look of your ribs. Can you share your process?

John
                        Ahaaa... its a trade secret... JUST KIDDING. Well how can I begin.

I have a brazilian BBQ which is 100% open flame or charcoal grill. No gas or anything else 100% Natural burning materials.

So, here is my process, which I have perfected over time. and trust me over many, many times of error.

1st Step.
                        I use my perfect blend of Rub, which consist of (Brown Sugar, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Smoked Preprika and Salt. I rub it until its 100% all covered. Once done I wrap it in foil and leave it overnight getting those flavour in.

2nd Step.
                        The morning of the cook, I warm up the fire, I used apple wood last time, which I start the grill with charcoal and once all coals are which I put one chunck of apple wood. I place my ribs on a grill about 32 inches from the fire, I also place an aluminum disposable pan on top of the ribs. The reason is that the smoke rises up and circulate around the ribs and comes out from the bottom. This way there is always smoke on the ribs coming form the wood burning. I let this happen for 1hr. By that time the ribs temp is about 180F.

3rd Step.
                        Once the hour pass. I take it off the grill and quickly wrap in foil making a little bag out of it. I place Brown sugar on top of it and honey. I put alot of brown sugar as we like it sweet and we don't watch our calories. Honey I coat it real good also. I like them sweet. once that is done and the sugar starts melting because the ribs are hot. I make a cone out of the foil and I put 2 cups of grape juice, the white grape just not the purple one. The purple give a funny color to the ribs. The white makes it look amazing. Once that is done I seal the top really good. and put it back on the grill. now I put more charcoal and not wood needed as it already got all the smoked needed. I let it go for 1 more hour.

4th Step.
                        I carefully take it out of the grill once the hour is complete. I tell you right now you have to be careful as its completly falling apart. The internal temp is about 220F. and the meat is too juicy. So I place it on the grill carefully and I like to use Baby Rays BBQ Sauce and sauce it on the top and bottom. I leave it on the grill for about 15min. I do this process for 2 reasons. I like the sauce to get caramelized and I like the ribs to dry out a little as its too moist inside. TRUST ME, way too moist.

5th Step.
                        After 15min I take it out of grill and let it rest for about 20min. Its way to hot to eat and letting it rest soaks more flavour in them. So its a good idea. Than I EAT THEM ALL! just kidding, my hole family loves it and since I got it down to a science and am able to make them perfect every single time. its alot of work but way worth it in the end. I will be making this coming weekend 40lbs of ribs, 50lbs of chicken with bacon, 80lbs of Picanha which is the best part of the top sirloin also know in the USA a Coulotte Steak. All in my brazilian BBQ and all at the same time and I will have more space to cook another 100lbs of meat if I wanted to. That's why I made it real big. I will post some pictures once this big cook is done.

If you make them post some pictures I would love to see it. Below are some picture of the Brazilian BBQ I made, can you tell how proud I am of it... LOL
                        Last edited by gugahulk; 07-08-2015, 08:56 AM.
                        Best Regards...
                        Gugahulk!

My Build...

Comment

GH,

Much thanks for your very detailed explanation. It is a testament to the care and attention you put into not only your food, but your tools. I have always felt that when one puts love into one's food, it truly shows.

A few years back, following his trip to Porto Alegre, my brother raved about the brazilian barbecue and the feast put on by his host. Since then I have been drawn to this style of barbecue, and in the event I get one built, I will pattern it after yours, and seek your advice on how to work it.

Greatly looking forward to pics of your big cook.

John

Comment

I've put a lot of thought into this over the years. The best smoker I ever had, a Big Green Egg, essentially recreated a WFO dome with a smoke system underneath it. I've started smoking in my oven again using a small wood-pellet smoke generator inside it, and the results have been fabulous.

Stan

Comment

Stan,

I like the concept. How hot is the oven when you put your meat inside?

No, really! I'm serious! I've thought about building a stand for my offset smoker firebox, and placing it door-high, just in front of my oven. I would join the firebox output to hole #1 in the oven door via flexible hot water heater vent ducting. Use a short length of same ducting out door exit hole #2 and up the flue.

Easy-peasy to keep the firebox stoked and a remote digital thermometer inside the oven. Just wondering how much btu's a firebrick dome absorbs/reflects during the course of a burn, and how much the dome may need preheating.

Comment

Working...
                              X