Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoke Ring on Baby Back Ribs

Gianni,

That's way more complicated than I had in mind! For ribs, I'll fire the oven to around 400F, push the coals to the side, and add the ribs on a rack. For pork shoulders, I'll just put them in at night after a fully-fired oven and let them cook overnight.

The smoke generator I use is a small tube, maybe 8 inches long, that fills with wood pellets. I light one end with a small torch and then stash it in the oven. The pellets smolder for several hours without generating much extra heat. Here's a link to some full racks of ribs I did with some coals still in in the oven.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
    Last edited by Stan; 07-10-2015, 03:30 PM. Reason: photo trouble

Comment

Wow, I am tired. Alot of work. But had a great time on my niece baby shower. Way too much protein.
      Best Regards...
      Gugahulk!

My Build...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/w...-fl-21793.html

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME
      Food will always be the best way to spend time with family & friends, and that is all that really matters.
      STOP THINKING ABOUT IT AND DO IT!

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
        I'm with Cobblerdave. I have smoked dozens of pork shoulders, briskets and ribs on my offset smoker with much success and yes, a viable smoke ring on all. I tried to repeat this process in my WFO and failed miserably.

Both times I tried it in my 230F WFO (door on, and door ajar) my pork shoulders cooked ok, but without that fatty, pork-a-licious sweetness we're used to. Without the proper ratio of heat/airflow, they came out closer to boiled.

I'm thinking that in a smoker where the fire chamber is external to the cooking chamber, this highly-tunable heat/airflow is what makes the magic happen.

I once saw at the local fair a giant firebrick-lined smoker, but it too, ran the fire external to the cooking chamber and multiple baffles/vents for control.
        I knew I should have stayed away from this topic because now I am in for more work. I will do my homework and make a smoker part of my setup at some point.

Comment

Working...
        X