Pompeii oven as a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pompeii oven as a smoker

Great info on smoking! I also attempted to smoke a pork roast. I got great smoke flavor but ran out of heat and had to finish it in my electric convection oven. I can't wait to try it again!

Comment

Bump. Always loved this thread.

I put some pork sausages and a piece of unsmoked bacon in the oven this morning at 80 C (180 F) with a small bed of coals and some fresh rosemary twigs for the smoke... and now I'm wondering how long to leave them there.

RT hows your smoking coming along? Anyone else done any in the meantime?

Could someone give me a quick list of do's and don'ts on smoking? (How to avaid food poisening would be a favourite right now... )
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by edschmidt View Post
        I have been expiramenting using my oven for smoking lately as well. Pull out some coals and seal them so they stop burning. The next morning I put them in a coffee can which I poked a bunch of holes in and light with a piece of newspaper. When they get good and hot (10min) I drop on applewood shavings which I poured some bacon grease on. I immediately get tons of smoke for 1 hr. or more from the first hadfull. The only thing I have been wondering lately is whether I should either suspend the meat, or build an elevated wire rack to get the meat closer to the cieling for optimal smoke infusion.
        I agree with Ed, the thing to try and do is get your chips to smoke, not burn.

I use a variety of wood chips....Alder, Apple, Hickory or Mesquite......I like to soak them to slow down the smoking.....and apple branches work well too. I put them in a piece of stainless tubing with holes in it so they smoke more than burn.

The coffee can technique sounds great!
        sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

The next thing I plan on smoking is jalapenios (unfiltered) Im thinking more in the 150 deg. range, more like dehydrating with smoke. Im undecided to do them whole, or without the seeds (refered to as castrated) Im thinking if I dry them to wetter level than the overly dry store bought variety they should be incredible.

Comment

I am considering abandoning my smoker plans ( they were only an afterthought to the oven) and I have one last questions before using the big pink eraser.

Is anyone having problems with residual smoke in thier ovens ? I know that dedicated smokers can develop quite a coating of residue on the inside. Does running your oven up to pizza temp clear out this residue ? or do all your pizzas have that smokey flavor.

Thanks
            Bruce
            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Originally posted by brokencookie View Post
              I am considering abandoning my smoker plans ( they were only an afterthought to the oven) and I have one last questions before using the big pink eraser.

Is anyone having problems with residual smoke in thier ovens ? I know that dedicated smokers can develop quite a coating of residue on the inside. Does running your oven up to pizza temp clear out this residue ? or do all your pizzas have that smokey flavor.

Thanks
              Bruce
              Usually no smoky flavor in the pies.

The high temps burn the dome clean as a whistle.
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Hi Yes we love slowly smoking hams bacon and chickens in our oven nice a slow heat and lots of smoke I use wood chips of hickory & plum that as be soaked in water for 1 to 2 hours just place on the hot coals ,
                Mick&Karin Blake Karmic Aviaries, Sculptor,Potter www.karmicaviaries.comThere is only one God,Only One life so live it to the full,no regrets as you are dead a long time" Mick Blake

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post

...What about one of those campfire racks? They are elevated - meant to be place over a campfire. The ones I've seen are folding, so you could easily get it in and out of the oven.
                  Just a thought.
                  Bumping this thread to see if anyone else is using their oven as a smoker and if that is working for them. I have not tried it yet, but am seriously thinking about trying some ribs. I am firing up the oven this weekend to cook a couple of crown rack of lamb roasts. Maybe give it a try as the oven is cooling down. As far as racks go, I can't think of anything better than a tuscan grill, anyone try one?

Comment

It is something that I would love to try once I get my door done. I am sure that I will not have embers left and only 250 degrees. I am with no door 24 hours later I am at 400F plus. 40 to 48 hours after pizza with no door I am around 175F so with a door I do not know how it will all shake out. But I know I have the insulation to do anything I want.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                    X