Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuffed, rolled Turkey -- Rotolo di Tacchino

Hello all,

We made this last night for some friends on a hot summer evening, and really enjoyed it. It's a stuffed turkey roll recipe that works great in a brick oven. The heat of the oven sears the stuffed turkey, and browns the pan drippings to make a wonderful, light sauce. We stuffed our turkey with a ham and cheese frittata, which is a nice change from a traditional bread stuffing.

To make a turkey roll you'll want about two pounds of breast meat, ideally from a turkey large enough that this will be half a breast. You can use any type of frittata, including ham and cheese, ham and spinach, and onion, etc.

Ingredients

? 2 pound turkey breast meat
    ? 1 cup chopped cooked spinach, drained well
    ? 1/2 pound ham
    ? 1 stip of bacon
    ? 1 sprig of rosemary
    ? 1 onion
    ? 2 eggs
    ? Olive oil
    ? Salt, pepper, and the herbs of choice to taste
    ? Butcher's twine

Preparation:

Begin by preparing the spinach and making the fritatta. Saute the onion and add the eggs. Stir the eggs for a few seconds, then let set. Add the ham and spinach and cook for a few more moments. When the bottom of the fritatta is set, flip it onto a plan and return it to the pan to cook the other side. Set the finished fritatta aside.

Set the turkey breast on a cutting board and make a horizontal cut almost all the way through it, about a 3/4 inch from the base. Open the breast like a book, make another cut, and open it again to obtain a rectangle of meat; gently pound it with the flat of your knife or a smooth meat pounder to thin it, keeping it as rectangular as you can.

Lay the fritatta, or the stuffing ingredients, over the slice, beginning with what will not melt, and season them to taste with salt, pepper, and whatever other herbs you like; I might go with some thyme and a tablespoon of minced parsley. Roll the breast up into a log, lay the bacon strip and rosemary sprig across the top, and tie the roll with butcher's twine so it resembles a salami; if you are including cheese in the filling be especially careful to make a good seal because it will melt and leak out if you don't.

Cooking

Roast the turkey roll in a moderately warm oven (400F-500F, or 4 Mississippis) for about 45 minutes.

Serve it sliced, with the pan drippings spooned over it. Or, whisk 2 Tbl of butter and 1/2 cup Madiera to the pan drippings to make a nice sauce.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Other recipes

James,
    Did you ever transfer my turkey, pork roast & prime rib recipes from the old Yahoo group?

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Your pork loin recipe is in the Meat and Chicken recipe section, but not the other two. Do you want to post them here?

This is the link to the recipe section.

http://fornobravo.com/brick_oven_coo...ltry_home.html

James
      Last edited by james; 06-29-2005, 07:58 AM.
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'll dig them out of the archives and post them. Should pull out my wife's herbed flatbread recipe and our dipping sauce (tomato sauce that we heat up in the oven in a crock before pizza with a slab of cheese on top...) people love dipping the bread in the sauce while they wait for their pizza.

Comment

Are Oregonians supposed to know about "4 Mississippis" ?

James wrote:

"Cooking

Roast the turkey roll in a moderately warm oven (400F-500F, or 4 Mississippis) for about 45 minutes."

(M) James, I thought you were 1/2 Italian not Confederate! What in the H are "4 Mississippis", .... unless they be Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, Becky Thatcher, and Aunt Polly.

Ciao,

m
          "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
          but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Marcel,

Do you remember cooking on charcoal grills by counting Mississippis on a Weber kettle gill. I'm dating myself into the 70's. The southeast meets the California BBQ, meets Italia.

You cannot put your hand inside a pizza hot oven, but you can make a good guess on oven retained heat by countining Mississippis -- two and the oven is hot; three for high heat roasting, four for bread and poulty, etc. I enjoy cooking by feel.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

What did Tennessee?

Marcel,

(J) Do you remember cooking on charcoal grills by counting Mississippis on a Weber kettle gill.

(M) The gill is on "Mississipi Prime".

(J) I'm dating myself into the 70's.

(M) Me too, ... into the present! No one else will go out with me :-(

(J) The southeast meets the California BBQ, meets Italia.

(J) You cannot put your hand inside a pizza hot oven, but you can make a good guess on oven retained heat by countining Mississippis -- two and the oven is hot; three for high heat roasting, four for bread and poulty, etc. I enjoy cooking by feel.

(M) I guess I should be grateful that they didn't choose the state of Maine!

James

Chow,
              Marcel
              "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
              but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Working...
              X