Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brick Oven Rabbit (Elmer Fudd's Favorite).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Oven Rabbit (Elmer Fudd's Favorite).

finally, its below 90 degrees. let the cooking begin!!! this meal is soooo good. you can substitute chicken for the rabbit of course. the full recipe is here.
    my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
    www.killdawabbit.com

Robert,

As usual, a great posting. Great recipe, nice photo, and a great web page -- I particularly like the URL.

Have you tried browning your chicken (or thumper) and/or the onions and veggie in the pan in the oven, rather than in a frying pan in the kitchen? It keeps you out of the kitchen, and you keep all the juices in the final dish. I had just done it in layers, adding ingredients as I go.

Glad it finally cooled down in the central valley. Now you can look forward to the fog. :-)

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james
      Robert,

Have you tried browning your chicken (or thumper) and/or the onions and veggie in the pan in the oven, rather than in a frying pan in the kitchen?
      thwack !!! (thumps forehead with palm). you know, it never occurred to me to try "frying" in the oven but now that you mention it, that's a technique that will be next on my list. (note to self: must find frying pan with loooonng handle). i've noticed that when we put chicken in (even when wrapped in foil) it begins sputtering and crackling almost immediately. i wonder how the olive oil will react to the heat but then again, if a person were to keep the pan near the vent it wouldn't be that much different than frying on an AGA would it?

with respect to the URL, my wife eva loves all the old warner brothers cartoons. when she came to america from budapest at age 10 she spoke nearly no english and she has a very warm spot in her heart for these cartoons (which had very simple dialog) and especially for the ones with no dialog like tom and jerry and road runner.
      my site for our pompeii and tandoor ovens
      www.killdawabbit.com

Comment

I bought a stainless steel pan (ala Allclad) that let's you do all sorts of things.

You can put the pan in the oven with a little oil, which you can let heat up before you add food for browning. Or, you can add the food and oil at the same time. It doesn't get so hot so fast that you burn the oil to where it smokes.

If you aren't looking for the "fried" or seared effect, you can use terra cotta pans which still brown the top of the food from the dome heat.

Toons are important. I learned Italian from Mickey Mouse (Topolino) -- which tells you how good my Italian is.

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

what about giving the foods a light coating of olive oil and roast rather than "fry" or "saute"? Seems as though the intense heat combined with the oil would give you almost a "dry fry".
          Just wondering...

Chad
          Renaissance Man
          Wholly Man

Comment

Working...
          X