Sea Bass with Mushrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Bass with Mushrooms

Here is the recipe for the fish we had on Saturday evening. I really enjoyed the mix of flavors and how the brick oven bakes the dish.

I also put the recipe on the Forno Bravo cooking pages, so you can find it there more easily in the future:

http://fornobravo.com/brick_oven_coo..._mushroom.html

Ingredient (four layers)
    Two carrots
    One onion
    One medium glove of garlic
    Two stalks for celery
    4 Tbl olive oil (your dish will only be as good as the olive oil -- read our olive oil pages for ideas)

2 lb. sea bass
    Salt and pepper

8 oz. white mushrooms
    4 Tbl dijon mustard
    1 Tbl diced spring onions or chives
    4 Tbl olive oil

1 cup Arugula (finely chopped)
    One tomato (finely chopped)
    2Tbl balsamic vinegar

Preparation
    Slice the onion, celery and carrots, and smash and mince the garlic.

Whisk the olive oil, capers and mustard, then mix with the chopped mushrooms.

Mix the Arugula, tomatoes and balsamic.

Cooking
    This dish works best in a terra cotta pan that will hold all the fish in a single layer.

Fire the oven until the carbon burns off (650F+), then push the fire to one site and let the oven rest for a few minutes. Shovel out any excess coals. You want a hot oven, which is capable of browning your vegetables from the dome heat, but not so hot that you burn everything in the first few minutes.

Place the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and olive oil in the pan, and bake for 3-5 minutes, or until the onions and garlic are translucent and lightly brown.

Assemble the fish over the vegetables, and top with the mushrooms and mustard sauce. Return the pan to the oven to bake.

When the mushrooms are brown, and the fish is baked, remove the pan from the oven, and top with the Arugula and balsamic. Place the cooking pan on the table -- take care to place all four layers on every plate when serving.
    Last edited by james; 10-19-2005, 08:52 PM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

My wife and I are crazy about sea bass.. it's usually the dish of choice for our anniversary.

Was this whole fish or just a filet?

Also, I know it varies, but about how many minutes for the final step?

3-5? 10?

Regards
    --
    Tarik

Comment

Chives or spring onions, not capers

Tarik,

They were fillets, that had been carefully deboned. Cooking the fish was more than 5 minutes and less than 15 - very scientific. :-)

If your oven is really hot, you can put a little foil on the mushrooms to keep them from burning.

I just got a Salmon recipe. That's next.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
      X