Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suckling Pig / Cochinillo

Time to do the Cochinillo.....

This baby is 4.3 Kilos or 9.5 pounds.....slow oven for 6 hours!

(It's heavy, take the damn picture already)

XJ
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Suckling Pig / Cochinillo

Awesome...............full details as it progresses, please.

Comment

XJim,
      You have well and truly got me by the short and curlys on this one.
      Quick story follows:
      Daughter was to marry the White Knight in Prague last Sept
      Pig on a spit was to be part of the deal.
      Ugly Father cracked up.
      Wedding in Australia, three weeks time.
      As an aside, I need to do a pig (or similar), for when they come home.
      You reckon you could help me out?
      If you do, i'll try to be good.....
      Jeff.

Comment

I will never show that to post to my girls, they would never eat meat for years, asking me each time I fire up " Dad, you didn't hurt Hilber?" "Dad, where is Sharlet's web?"
        An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Acoma,
          I dare say my Lady is a little tougher than your pair of sweeties, but on seeing that barbaric image, she did go quite pale. I was concerned for her health.
          Only detailed oral paintings of golden crackling and divine aromas brought her back. Shame on XJim for frightening the Mothers of our Children. hehehe.
          Procedure please, Xabier.
          Jeff-in-waiting.

Comment

Acoma, I reckon my Lady should be a bit tougher than your two sweeties, but she did go quite pale when exposed to that barbaric image.
            Indeed, I feared for her life, and it was only the wonderful, sensual memories of gilt-edged manna from heaven with aromas to match that saved her.
            Shame Jimmy shame! hehehe

Fellers, I hope that wasn't a duplicate post. Sorry. I'd just googled Cochinillo, and forgot my place in the queue.
            Not to wish to appear disparaging, but is it that simple?? Low and slow, essentially, and don't fool with the flavour? How would it go on a spit in a WFO? ('Divine' springs to mind.)
            At short notice, I'll probably have to settle for joints. Will damage the romance, but not the result. [I hope].
            Looking for any tips you care to scatter about XabiaJ.
            Jeff the Drooling.

Comment

Isn't it funny about how sometimes we can't connect the slaughter of the many animals we eat with the reality of a good hamburger.......too easy to buy it in the celophane wrapper I guess.

Sorry, I'm a meat eater and proud of it, a hunter not a gatherer....back to the bush eh Jeff? I've got nothing againse the veggies, but I love my meat!

Anyway, it's part of the caveman diet.

There is an old spanish ritual of slaughering the pig and collecting the blood in a dish for sausages (morcilla). It was quite a family event each year. It's a reality not duplicated much in the north america any more.

Where did you think the Chicken McNuggets came from?

No offence intended.......

X

PS, I remember bring home the fresh hunted rabbits in the Keweenaw for my two year old daughter to compare to the easter bunnies! Or the fresh venison to bambi cartoons on TV.......such is life! Sorry Robert, again no offense intended.

Comment

XJim,
                Nice shot, wrong target.I thought you had a handle on me. Apparently I should have bracketed "barbaric", followed by the symbol for 'cynical'. (Wrong word, but close.)
                I know exactly what you are saying, and sorry to cause unease. Mate, to supplement my income as a young man I broke the necks of wild rabbits and shot 'roos, both for hide and/or meat. More recently it has been confined to sheep and chooks, with just the occassional Italian event with the winter pigs for preserves.
                And no, this leopard can't change it's spots.
                I'd still appreciate directions for preparation/cooking of our kill, and apologies for the apparent red herring.
                Selamat makan - enjoy your meal.
                Jeff.
                ps. The first time I took my Lady to meet my Oldies, we shot three rabbits. (Daytime, so no neck-stretching, eh.) Cleaned 'em up, put 'em in brine.............and forgot about them. Mum was not pleased when her nose lead her to them some days later. Mate, you've got to laugh, true. j.

Comment

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
                  Isn't it funny about how sometimes we can't connect the slaughter of the many animals we eat with the reality of a good hamburger.......too easy to buy it in the celophane wrapper I guess.
                  Not even close to offended. Trust me, I am in the same boat, kill and eat. The oldest says she hates meat, what to do? And not even 6. Hopefully I can change that with rotissarie and smoking foods, fire pits, etc. I would slow cook that pig too
                  An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I always said, if God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Good stuff mfiore!

All, can't agree more. I love meat, but I love butchers. I've sure as hell killed thousands of fish in my day, and a few bunnies to boot, but the thought of gutting/butchering an animal puts me off my hunger a bit. I've eaten suckling pig and pig cooked Polynesian style, carrot up the butt and apple in the mouth. No harm, no foul. Yummy, as a matter of fact.

I've watched heart and abdominal surgeries, and laid waste to a lot of dentition and soft tissues in dental surgeries over the years. I've still got no desire to cut a deer from anus to throat and watch the carnage spill on the ground, nor hit a cow with a bangstick on the skull. Too graphic? Same for me? Thank the Lord for butchers!
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I started as the third of four boys with a father who hunted for fun. We grew up hunting the fields of Ontario and I evolved to the woods of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Shot a lot of birds and bunnies, and as many deer as I've been able to, gun and bow. ...but I think that's only 5 or 6 in 25 years. They produce two offspring each year so they're pretty safe from me.

Yeah, there are lot's occupations I'm happy that others will do.....pickiing up waste (honey wagons and the trash in the summer) and may god bless those that work in the aid of others, particularly volunteers in the old folks homes.

Politics and making sausages.....hard to watch.......I think I'll do a fresh post for the cooking documentary!

X

Comment

but this is a cool shot for the caveman....

I'd be a vegetarian if I didn't love meats so much

Today is National Roast Suckling Pig Day? | history, national roast suckling pig day, pig | yumsugar - Food, Drink, & Entertaining.

Comment

Working...
                          X