Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled Pork Sandwich

I had some pork left over from the cochinillo. about a pound

I finely diced 1/2 an onion, 1/4 red pepper, a celery stalk and 2 cloves of garlic, and some fresh ground pepper. Threw that in a pan with olive oil and sauteed it gently.

Added 3 small diced tomatoes, tablespoon of coarse dijon mustard, some red wine, a tablespoon of honey, some vinegar and some tobasco.
    Let that slow cook into a sauce.
    Threw in the WFO pork, shredded with somefresh chopped parsley and cilantro.

Waited until it was happy and shared it with some bread.
    Tasty!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Pulled Pork Sandwich

Sadly, we do pulled pork sandwhiches by crock pot and seasoning packages. Yummy for sure, but not a culinary wfo treat like you made. What kind of bread did you put it on? Hopefully not the hamburger buns that we use.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Oh George, you've got to throw a butt in the oven after pizza. And some chips for the smoking. The other vegetables and stuff too. Just puree up the mixture (after defatting) and shred that pork.

(we hardly use any seasoning packages as Vaughn has allergies, particularly sensitive to the MSG)

I think the slow cooking and smoke is divine.
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

George,

Now really, I am rattled to the core: HAMBURGER BUNS . Go to Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice, find the kaiser bun recipe, make them in the WFO on sheet pans. You will never, ever buy those supermarket sinkers again. I call my kaisers "ketchup proof" because they refuse to get soggy, no matter what kind of goopy stuff you put on them. Freeze really well, too. Get busy, man.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Ha! Chastized, and rightfully so! Great lessons CJ/XJ! I knew I was dropping my pants to the world on that one! Publicly paddled! How embarrassing!

I'll post later on my success, or lack thereof with the next Pulled Pork (on Kaiser bun) attempt. Thanks!
          George
          GJBingham

-

Comment

Hahaha Sir George of Longview, and welcome to the club! At least CJ didn't shout at me.
            Pulled the pork off the bones this morning. Wild!
            Now to make XJ's sauce, and defrost those old hamburger buns!!! (Sorry CJ. Reinhart's you say?)
            I probably won't have the gear, but I was going to do sourdough today, so we'll give it a bash.

On another tangent. Bought some chestnuts yesterday, but unsure how to roast. Maybe 15 - 20 mins @170C in convential oven? What about WFO?
            Thanks. J.

Comment

Chestnuts? A Christmas specialty in Sicly. You can drive through every town and there's several BBQ type affairs on almost every corner, roasting chestnuts, smoke and steam rising in the cold dark evenings. An awesome sight and totally out of my American experience. 170 degrees? Probably about right. Just guessing - keep turning them as they roast. Just a guess.
              GJBingham

-

Comment

We have stalls selling roast chestnuts here all through the winter. Ice creams in summer, chestnuts in winter.

They have a big metal drum with a fire in it, and a metal colander shaped thing on top with the chesnuts in it. Actually, a paella pan should work well, too. But I don't know how long it takes - until they're done maybe?

Frances, the helpfull

Jim, MSG is evil. I wouldn't be unhappy if it disapeared off the face the earth altogether... what's wrong with good old salt and pepper anyway?
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Frances, you're right! Thanks for kicking me in the memory. Big metal drums is how they cooked them.
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

They have a big metal drum with a fire in it, and a metal colander shaped thing on top with the chesnuts in it.
                    As a kid in New York I saw pushcarts with this apparatus all over the city. Their arrival, and the aroma of roasting nuts, was as sure a sign of autumn as trees dropping leaves. You got 10 roasted chestnuts in a little paper bag for a quarter , and if eight of them were good (no rot, no worm, no parts roasted too hard to chew) you were happy.

Funny, I always thought of them as a city thing (which is in itself a typical New York attitude). It never occurred to me that the tradition and the technology would have been brought over on the boat with the wave of Italian immigrants so visible at that time.

Thanks for the reminder, Frances
                    Un amico degli amici.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Will try a scaled-down version of the drum tonight.

XJim, asked the butcher about suckling pigs yesterday
                      Try 35kg. (For 4 people? Not on your nelly, mate).
                      Don't know how I missed your image of the 20 or so spitted pigs. I guess they're wholesalers eh. (Or a flamin big family.)

GJB, weather is just on the turn and picture perfect at the moment. Will have to dig out long sleeve shirts soon. I'm afraid I'm not cold-tolerant.
                      Stay gentle you mob.
                      Jeff.

ps. Frances, any more swirling, curvy suggestions eagerly awaited. J.

Comment

Long sleeve t-shirts, no doubt, eh Jeff? Suffer through the low 20s C. Onya mate!
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

George I worked with a Canadian farm boy in tropical N Queensland many years ago. Admittedly he spun a good yarn, but keeping a dairy heard in a shed all flamin' winter!!!

That is not natural.

Man is essentially a tropical beast. I would prang my car on the first icy road, then freeze to death in the first modest snow fall.
                          To those of you who live in such places goes my unbounded admiration and wonder. (Wild-caught Salmon? Trout? Tempting....but no.)
                          Your Spring eh?
                          Enjoy and good health.
                          J.

Comment

Thanks Jeffy. It's all about furnaces - heat combustables, warm the house, costs many dollars, but cozy just the same.

Man is not a tropical beast. Man manipulates his(her) living conditions to make life as comfortable as possible. We'd all be living in Africa, South America and Asia if we were tropical, and be suffering nasty bugs burried in our skin. No thanks!

I love vacationing in the tropics, but its nice not to sweat profusely on a daily basis too. Mmmffff, I'd say more, but my mouth is full of salmon.

Atya. Thanks for the Spring wishes. Hopefully, the sun will show up soon.
                            George
                            GJBingham

-

Comment

After Jim's billboard post on hamburger buns, I may soon give them a try; will be my first attempt at any bread making. Seems like a perfect starting point for me, since my local bakery does no better than the mega bakeries that bake for the grocery stores.

RT

Comment

Working...
                              X