Pulled Pork Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pulled Pork Sandwich

[QUOTE=jeff;28502]Thanks for the advice. Will try a scaled-down version of the drum tonight.

XJim, asked the butcher about suckling pigs yesterday
    Try 35kg. (For 4 people? Not on your nelly, mate).
    Don't know how I missed your image of the 20 or so spitted pigs. I guess they're wholesalers eh. (Or a flamin big family.)
    QUOTE]

Teach
    Sounds like a pretty big pig for a piglet. You'll have lots of pulled pork sandwiches left over from that one!

And on the Chesnuts, you need to poke them with a knife first so they don't explode. I think if you heated a terracotta dish in the WFO and then threw in the chesnuts, you could stirr them a while and they'd be ok. Otherwise, remember the christmas song "roasting chesnuts by an open fire". I've done that..put them by the coals and keep turning. Experiment a bit but don't burn them too bad.

I'll post the old time castano roasters I just found in the market too.
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
      Man is not a tropical beast. Man manipulates his(her) living conditions to make life as comfortable as possible. We'd all be living in Africa, South America and Asia if we were tropical, and be suffering nasty bugs burried in our skin.
      That's just the thing. I often think it'd be nice to live somwhere warmer, but then you think about all the creepy crawlies around in those climates... So give me a good sharp winter once a year to kill them all off!! (...well appart from the slugs of course, but you can't have everything.)
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

This one's for you CJ - Kaiser rolls, bulkies, New York hard rolls - alla Reinhart! I couldn't find diastatic malt powder or malt syrup anywhere. SW Washington - definitely not a great resource for baking products.

Sadly, they're already vacuum sealed and frozen - awaiting their ultimate fate. Tomorrow's my anniversary so dinner's out on the town. Pulled pork Monday hopefully. Then we'll give them the test against the dreaded mass-produced hamburger bun.

Hopefully, I've served my penance. Thanks for redirecting my wayward path in life!
        Last edited by gjbingham; 04-06-2008, 09:13 AM.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I couldn't find diastatic malt powder or malt syrup anywhere. SW Washington - definitely not a great resource for baking products.
          They look great, nonetheless. I had to order malt powder from King Arthur. SW Va's no better for baking!
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

This one's for you CJ - Kaiser rolls, bulkies, New York hard rolls - alla Reinhart!.
            You guys are making me spin in my grave The only "real" bread for BBQ is white bread. Good ol'fashioned air-filled store-bought white bread. Hamburger buns are okay if you insist on making a sammich. Corn cakes will do quite fine, also.

Kaiser/bulkie/hard rolls - much too sophisticated for 'que!

I couldn't find diastatic malt powder or malt syrup anywhere. SW Washington - definitely not a great resource for baking products.
            Try your local beer homebrewing shop!

Comment

George, I first wish to congratulate you on your Anniversery. Each year gets you into the class of the fewer to succeed. How many years? Me, I am at 11 and about to hit 12.

As for the buns......WOW! You are in control.
              An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                That's just the thing. I often think it'd be nice to live somwhere warmer, but then you think about all the creepy crawlies around in those climates... So give me a good sharp winter once a year to kill them all off!! (...well appart from the slugs of course, but you can't have everything.)
                Wait...Switzerland has Slugs ? My idealized view of your country, based entirely upon "Heidi", has just just crashed. Why, you are no better than the Pacific Northwest Next thing you know you will be telling us that Spiders dwell in the Swiss meadows
                Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Ha! Funny stuff Bruce! Thanks Robert! Number one!
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

Yep we have spiders. But - and this is the important bit - NO poisonous ones

Our Swiss black slugs have cross bread with the brown variety from Sweden (or somwhere up there) which means they've become a lot more winter hardy over the last couple of years, and we risk being totally overrun by them. If we don't watch out, they'll eat all the Swiss cows...

Nice rolls George! Way to go!
                    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

I thought the slugs were responsible for Swiss Cheese? The demand is high for this cheese, so the slugs are being cross bread for longer seasons to meet this demand
                      An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Comment

I thought it was mice that caused the holes in Swiss cheese! Thanks for the lesson Robert!

So the Kaiser rolls turned out pretty well. We celebrated our anniversary with a wonderful brunch just before noon, so I decided that since my oven was still hot from a 9 pizza birthday party the day before, I'd pull some pork!

5 hours in the oven was too long for the pork as the lid on the casserol dish didn't fit too well. I rehydrated the meat sauce to a better consistency, and we feasted with pulled pork on kaiser rolls. The wife liked them better than hamburger buns, but I'm inclined to go with BrianShaw's post - I think I like 'em better on soft white bread. To each his (her) own I guess!
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                        X