Vertical Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vertical Chicken

We've pretty much discarded the "aluminum is bad for you" meme. If it was, we would all be in trouble cooking right on our alumina brick floors. Paint, I don't know.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

If you are worried about it, they sell a verticle chicken roaster at Bed Bath and Beyond. It is anodized cookware I believe.

Also, I would recommend rubbing butter or bacon grease on it before you put it in, makes for a wonderful brown and crispy skin.

Originally posted by ksm View Post
      Hi. Coming to this thread a bit later on ... any problems with the aluminum or "paint" from the beer cans at these temps? On other (non-WFO) sites, people have suggested using a glass instead of a beer can to avoid any potential fumes/gasses. Since Pyrex can go in a regular oven (though don't know that I've cooked anything in one at 500 degrees), I guess that would work. Just looking for the wisdom of this "crowd." Thanks in advance. Kathy
      Wade Lively

Comment

The water/alcohol in the can will keep the temperature of the can below the boiling point of water throughout the cooking so it really doesn't get very hot. That said, it is a good question and paint is capable of releasing noxious compounds but the relatively low temperatures minimize the risk.

I don't know what temp they use to bake the paint on a beer can but I will bet it is higher than 212 by a good bit.

I would not suggest putting empty beer cans in an oven, though. That would almost certainly release some nasties from the paint.

Jay

Comment

We've been doing the beer can chicken for quite a while now, on a gas grill it is pretty foolproof and maintenance free. In a charcoal grill it's almost the same, just need to check the fire once or twice.

I haven't used those can holders though I see their merit, we just put the can in the chicken and orient the legs forward (if you don't point the legs forward then sometimes during the cooking they can contract and tip the whole bird over).

We just use water in the can, I figure otherwise it is a waste of a half cup of beer...

One thing that we do, is to soak the chicken in a brine solution for several hours prior. It makes a noticeable difference in the moistness so I'd urge people to try it at least once.

Anyway, when cooking in a grill I like to have a fire on one side, put the chickens on the opposite side with the backs facing the heat, leave until the back is crisp enough then turn so the breast faces the heat. Use a meat thermometer or just cut the thigh and check the juices to determine when it is done until you get a feel for your particular grill and cooking style.

In the beginning I was concerned about the whole aluminum/paint thing but the cans never get that hot to be an issue.

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses. We had not thought about the inside of the chicken not reaching those high temps. That knowledge removes the concerns.

A neighbor is bringing one of his free range chickens to be the first item cooked in our new oven (Saturday is the 500 degree fire day in the curing process), so we wanted to be sure to do right by this generous offering. Thus, the cooking tips are much appreciated as well. (Drinking the beer first and then putting water in the can also makes a great deal of sense!)

Comment

Working...
            X