hind quarter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hind quarter?

I talked with another oven owner who does a hind quarter (leg) of a hog....I think he said about 20-25 pounds.....says it does really well in the WFO....low and slow....anyone done one? Or is that just a pork butt by another name?
    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Re: hind quarter?

I'm not positive, but I think a pork butt (Boston butt) is actually a shoulder cut. I've cut them up and they don't have "hind quarter" type bones in them at all, more like shoulder bones. Maybe what's sometimes called a "fresh ham" is more like the hind quarter. They aren't smoked, just a whole rear leg.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Elizabeth. All of what you think is true. Personally, I like the slow-roasted Boston "butt" shoulder (especially with the bone in) better than pork leg - more fat = more flavor.

Comment

What the heck do you do with that much meat???

I can't justify cooking a leg of lamb because I know half will never be eaten.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Hey, we go through a large leg of lamb almost every sunday evening with the family here, but generakky cooked in the domestic electric oven. Still having problems convincing the other half that a wood fired oven can cook other things than pizzas.
          If any is left, it is used with salads and sangas (sandwiches) for lunch the folowing week for both of us. Cold roast lamb, cheese and chutney sangas are great.

Neill
          Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
          Neill’s kitchen underway
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I'm an absolute convert to roasts in the WFO. it's self cleaning. If i don't want gravy (I don't do pork gravy) I just put a couple of sheets of foil overlapping on the oven floor and cook the roast on a rack. No clean up except for the roasting rack! If there is a bunch of grease splatters on your oven, they burn away with the next firing.

Also, your house doesn't smell of that hot grease smell for the next day or two.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
              What the heck do you do with that much meat???

I can't justify cooking a leg of lamb because I know half will never be eaten.
              With the pork I'd use it for bbq pork sandwiches. (but it would be after a party) And cold lamb sandwiches are great! slice it up and freeze if it's a lot.

George, you might want to try a lamb shoulder...better flavor, less meat. One shoulder serves two normal people. Great in a slow oven after pizzas.

Comment

We use pork shoulders/pork picnic here in TX. I have done 2 so far. Put them in the turkey roaster pan about midnight after I cooked pizzas. Let the top brown for about 30 minutes, covered with foil, passed out from too much tequila. When I pulled it out at 7 the next morning, it was so tender and juicy, so I pushed it back in, went to work, and pulled it back out at 4 that afternoon. We ate pulled pork for 3 days, then I was sick of it so I gave it to the neighbors.

So easy and very reasonable on price.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations on the Lamb SJ et al. I'm going to defrost it and go for it.
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

HTML Code:
                    ... pork butt (Boston butt) is actually a shoulder cut
                    Hmmmm, I won't tell you how long I've been looking for 'pork butt' at the meat counter and cursing the fact that my local variety and availability never match what can be found South of the Border (while that's Mexico to most of you, that's most of you to me). And there it's been - pork shoulder - right under my nose the whole time. Duh!

Comment

what can be found South of the Border (while that's Mexico to most of you, that's most of you to me). [/QUOTE]

I lived south of the USA in Canada for 10 years......know where that is?

Comment

Um, Hmmm, XJ, no wait, ....SJ...... You lived in Canada? I know, lets
                        ask Les! He knows geography!

(kidding Les)

How about BC SJ?

Where's Assinippi? There's a question!
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Whew, that one would nearly have been worthy of jeff... I'm laughing, but search me if I know why? What the heck are you going on about??
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
                            Um, Hmmm, XJ, no wait, ....SJ...... You lived in Canada? I know, lets
                            ask Les! He knows geography!

(kidding Les)

How about BC SJ?

Where's Assinippi? There's a question!
                            I wonder George, you may be right, isn't a bit of Victoria Island actually south of the US mainland?

...but I lived in Canada, south of Detroit, Michigan! (Canada, eh? ....7 years in Toronto, 10 years in Windsor and 5 years in Waterloo)

now Assinippi, I'm with you on that one

Comment

OK - i've heard it many times here...

What the heck is "pulled pork" it sounds a bit scary to put into Google...

Comment

Working...
                              X