* Port
    * White Wine
    * Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVO)
    * Oregano
    * Cracked Black Pepper
    * Fresh Parsley
    * Honey
    * Onion

So 1st thing was to cut slits into the veal and insert small cloves or garlic, i then massaged rock salt and Evo into it for about 5min each side.

Click on the pics to enlarge

Then i made my marinade and basting sauce, which is a mixture of white wine (about half a bottle) Port (quarter of a bottle) EVO (a good pour of it), bunch of chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons of honey, some black pepper and finally salt. Mix it up and its ready to apply

Regards
    Adrian

Re: Veal Shoulder & Quails

Then basically i just pour some of it over the top on each sides brushing it into the areas where it might not get. Finally i just throw in a few cloves of garlic and 1 onion chopped in half.

Now let it sit if you like (to soak up the flavours) or if you were like me in a hurry just chuck it straight in the oven (if you have a wood fired oven it always helps )

Regards
    Adrian

Comment

After about 3-4 hours of cooking (the longer the better if time permits) and basting along the way whilst turning you should end up with a good eating roast.
      As you can see the juice becomes a thick but light coating of sauce which you can you use as a gravy. Lets just say there was nothing left of this roast after about 10min from taking the photos.

Regards
      Adrian

Comment

2nd course Quails :boogie:

Ingredients:

* 12 quails
        * Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVO)
        * Cacciatore (Larger size salami)
        * Marinated Olives
        * Pecorino grated cheese
        * Bread Crumbs
        * 3 Eggs
        * Coppa (thin sliced from deli)
        * Rock Salt
        * Cracked Black Pepper
        * Oregano
        * Fresh Parsley
        * Garlic

1st clean quails then place into large baking tray......

Now its time to prepare the stuffing, get some cacciatore (salami) and slice it just a tad thick, then dice it up and throw into stuffing bowl. Now get some marinated olives - de-pit them, chop up and throw into bowl. Chop up a bunch of fresh parsley and toss it in, now add a fair amount of bread crumbs and pecorino cheese along with 3 eggs, some salt/pepper/oregano and crush 2 garlic cloves inside. Now finally add some EVO with some warm tap water (to help it bond) and you can mix it throughly with your hands. Taste it to see if you need to add anything but it should not be flaky or too soupy (inbetween as shown in pic).

Now its time to stuff the quails (i use my hands and press the stuffing right in until it cant fit anymore). P.S Make sure you wash your hands frequently or your guests wont be too happy

Regards
        Adrian

Comment

Once the stuffing is in, now rub EVO on both sides of the quails
          And then put strips of Coppa over the top (i used coppa for this 1 instead of the previous prosciutto) and finally a quick drizzle of EVO then place into oven for about 2-3hours.

Half way through

Regards
          Adrian

Comment

The final product, i only turn them once and the last 30min i leave the cover open

There is some left over quails which i think i might have for lunch

Geez i think if i give away any more recipes my nonna is gonna kill me!

Enjoy!
            Regards
            Adrian

Comment

Nice work! I almost never even see veal in the store anymore. $12 /lb. Two tiny cutlets are four bucks. A two Kg shoulder would run about $50 here -if you could get it. Nice for a special occasion. I'd be afraid to ruin it and be kicking myself in the butt for the next week for trying it.

Good eats in Oz! Thanks for posting!
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Ageo308 View Post
                <snip>

Geez i think if i give away any more recipes my nonna is gonna kill me!

Enjoy!
                Never mind la nonna: this is excellent cooking and documentation, including the pics! My mouth waters, I'm slavvering over the quails... (this from a chicken breeder/lover).

On another tangent: have you got any recipes for preparing/cooking pork shoulder while nonna's not looking? Bianca just bought some, and I picked up a couple of beautifully ugly enamelled cast-iron pots at a Salvation Army store for $20 the lot!

Cheers,

LMH

BTW, the pork is $A4.xx a kilo here, haven't priced veal or quails...
                "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Re: Veal Shoulder &amp; Quails

Originally posted by carioca View Post
                  Never mind la nonna: this is excellent cooking and documentation, including the pics! My mouth waters, I'm slavvering over the quails... (this from a chicken breeder/lover).

On another tangent: have you got any recipes for preparing/cooking pork shoulder while nonna's not looking? Bianca just bought some, and I picked up a couple of beautifully ugly enamelled cast-iron pots at a Salvation Army store for $20 the lot!

Cheers,

LMH

BTW, the pork is $A4.xx a kilo here, haven't priced veal or quails...

I cooked a whole suckling pig and 2 wild goats for my brothers bday and all that was left was the bones hehe. The problem was i didnt get to take the final pic as we were rushed into serving it. Try the same marinade that i used for the veal (as i used the same for the pig) and i think you will find it will come nice and juicy (try and cook the meat for around 4-5hours for optimal results).

To me its like cooking pasta, once you understand the basics the rest will flow, i would not hesitate to cook spatchcock/chicken and other poultry like the way i did my quails (i have actually hehe).

That shoulder cost exactly $16 ($8 per kilo) which i thought was a bargain.
                  The quails are around $12 per pack of 6 or if your like me (wait till hunting season and stock up)
                  Regards
                  Adrian

Comment

Thanks Adrian, will try the pork with your marinade and cook a bit longer than the veal, as you suggest...
                    Ciao,
                    LMH
                    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

How larget was the pig that you cooked (dressed weight), for how long and at what temperature.

Currently us a La Caja China for my pig roasts but would like to use the WFO and keep the LCC for when I cook for a large crowd and do an 80 to 100 pound porker.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                        How larget was the pig that you cooked (dressed weight), for how long and at what temperature.

Currently us a La Caja China for my pig roasts but would like to use the WFO and keep the LCC for when I cook for a large crowd and do an 80 to 100 pound porker.
                        Richard this was only a suckling pig (about 8kgs dressed) and the oven temp was around 300 degrees celcius (on the base), and cooked for around 6 hours.

The higher temp at 1st seals the meat then cooking it slow to tenderize it (meat falling off the bone). I make sure there is plenty of liquid and and baste it continually every 1-2hours). I never top up the fire as the lower the temp goes the better it is for the meat (in my opinion for slow roasts)

I have photos of the pig marinated and ready to be cooked but i didnt get any after it was done.
                        Regards
                        Adrian

Comment

Hi Adrian nice looking veal & I love quail nice job,
                          Mick&Karin Blake Karmic Aviaries, Sculptor,Potter www.karmicaviaries.comThere is only one God,Only One life so live it to the full,no regrets as you are dead a long time" Mick Blake

Comment

Hi Adrian, here is a pic of our quails

Mick&Karin Blake Karmic Aviaries, Sculptor,Potter www.karmicaviaries.comThere is only one God,Only One life so live it to the full,no regrets as you are dead a long time" Mick Blake

Comment

Mick thats how we cook them in the bush when we go hunting for them.

Very nice indeed
                              Regards
                              Adrian

Comment

Working...
                              X