Tuscan grill in the UK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuscan grill in the UK?

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Tuscan Grill or similar for the WFO in the UK. I can see them all over the States but not here in the UK as usual.

Thanks
    sigpic

Re: Tuscan grill in the UK?

I brought mine from a holiday in Sardinia - cheap but sturdy. And to my surprise I found one in one of the stalls at Cropredy festival this summer ... not quite the same design, but looks great, with a long iron handle. I need to strip the paint though.

Suggestion: they do exist, try antiques shops and stalls at markets. I'll put a photo up sometime soon.
    "Carpe diem." - Fish of the Day (The Uxbridge English Dictionary)

Comment

OK, update on this. Had a sudden idea of looking at ebay.it, and sure enough found one like mine (which yesterday was used to make a wonderful florentine steak in the oven): 160277572041, 290097952254 or search for "graticola" or "griglia". These guys send to Europe, so you can ask. This is the cheap version. You can easily spend 150 Euro there for a hand-made stainless steel one, but apart from style and durability I can't see what the remaining 140 Euro will do that the 10 Euro doesn't.

Saw it and thought of you ... :-)

W.

Comment

W.

Thanks for the tip and remembering my search. I have actually just received one at home today courtesy of Forno Bravo, they shipped it over from the US. Just wiring the money over today.

I feel a steak or two coming on this week, can't wait.

Any tips on grilling out there with a Tuscan Grill?

Thanks
        RyH
        sigpic

Comment

Oh, good. And you got a really quality one too. I'll probably do this eventually as well, but I scrounge a little because of all the building costs. How much was the shipping, if I may ask? There are other things in the FB shop I am tempted to put on my list.

As for the steaks - they come out great. I put a piece of green cherry wood in as well, and they were really exceptional. I even tried a florentine steak on Saturday.

Take into account the considerable heat radiated from the dome, if the oven has just been fired. This sears it immediately, you don't get the steak to sweat on top, as they can do on the normal grill, which is really good.

The overall time is a minute or two shorter, try the consistency check for doneness rather than time. Google for "steak touch test" or "steak poke test" but don't put your hand in the oven (d'uh) and use a long spoon or a grill utensil instead ...

The florentine should be 3 fingers thick - you have to get a good quality rib-eye steak cut to size by your friendly butcher - this is half way to success. I left it for a touch too long, the recommended 5 minutes, and after resting it was pink in the middle but more towards medium, while I was hoping for medium-rare. My next attempt will be a florentine at 3 minutes.

The 2-minute each side medium fillet (my better half prefers fillet to rib-eye) steak was perfect.

Sausages cook great on this grill - they are cooked but not burnt (if you are careful), and so is pretty much everything I tried.

Tonight or tomorrow I'll be grilling fish.

You asked

Good luck and please report your success.

Best wishes,
          W.
          (luckily just after lunch, otherwise I would be drooling over the keyboard)

Comment

W

Shipping was initally $61.50 but I queried this as I had in fact only enquried about it and they shipped it. Straight away they offered 50% discount on this to $30.75 so fair enough.

I will let you know how I get on. I usually buy a single rib from the butcher and grill this on the barbie, this is a great cut of meat on the bone and has the rib eye in the centre, really full of flavour.

Speak soon
            Ryan
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. I'll try to avoid such misunderstandings. I thought that shipping would be a lot for such a heavy item.

As for the steak, the proper florentine has a bone, unlike the rib-eye I bought. They even stand the steak on it on the grill to get the meat adjacent to the bone to cook - bone has a higher heat conductivity than meat apparently.

Best of luck,
              W.

Comment

W
                Cooked a rolled rib of beef (without bone this time, all they had) and it was probably one of the best peices of steak I have ever tasted.

It was so moist even for those people who wanted it more well done than medium.

The grill was excellent, good quality and makes great sear marks on the meat.

Lots more to try but the weather is changing here.

A great buy!

Ryh
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X