Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pork rind - recipes/uses, anyone?

Hello there!

Bought a roll of pork rind in the supermarket the other day because I thought SWMBO (she who must be obeyed) needed such an essential ingredients - or I might have some use for it in the WFO...

Can't easily find a recipe for it - is there anything on FB?

Cheers,

LMH
    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Re: pork rind - recipes/uses, anyone?

Raw pork rind? I can think of a few things...wrap it around a lean roast like a pork loin.

Fry it up and make mofongo (better google that if you have never had it).
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks Drake,

yes I googled a heap of recipes, but there was nothing specific to WFOs...
      Will probably try one of the Latin American ideas tomorrow - and report back on the success, if any...
      Cheers,

LMH

Comment

Originally posted by carioca View Post

Will probably try one of the Latin American ideas tomorrow - and report back on the success, if any...
        Cheers,

LMH
        Here as promised: being a bit on the lazy side, I just cut up the big piece of rind into thin strips and shoved the lot into the pizza-heat oven in our old paella pan. They sizzled and curled nicely and sweated out a lot of fat...

I then took out the pan because it was getting too hot, and put a tray of bread rolls in despite Bianca's misgivings about the heat. They browned beautifully in no time at all, and when they smelled 'right' I took them out and put the paella pan with the rinds back in.

Bianca then admonished me to give the rolls a bit more oven time, and I slid the tray on top of the paella pan for another 10 minutes or so.

When I removed the tray, the rinds were sort of getting mushily carbonised, if you can imagine such a thing :-) Bianca loved the rinds, but kept remonstrating about the rolls (which I found rather nicely done and crusty).

I then baked two sourdough loaves, again by smell - perhaps for 50 minutes or thereabouts - and finally put in a pot-au-feu overnight. This did smell beautifully done by about 1 a.m. but I was too lazy to get up... we ate the resulting caramelised mush for lunch.

Pics of the experiment (minus the mush) at Picasa Web Albums - carioca - Forno_del_gallo , right at the end of the album...

Cheers,

LMH

NB: Will be cooking by 'smell' for a while until I build that insulated door and put in the oven thermometer I have already bought :-)

Comment

Working...
        X