Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFO Turkey Report

It was a success....

Today was the day to test the skills on the big bird. So we cooked the turkey and it came out great!

Fired the oven from 8:30 to 11:30. Raked the coals at 1:00. Cooked the rolls from 1:15 to about 1:35 oven temp readings around 450 and 500 F.

The 18 pound turkey went into the oven at 2:10. Checked the bird after an hour, and then the left the turkey in the oven until just past 6:00. Thermometer in the bird read 180 F in the top of the bird, and 165 in the lower part of the bird. The oven was 350 F at the end of the bird bake.

The seasoned potatoes went in for about an hour and a half near the end of the time frame.

So the turkey came out tasty and juicy. I should have pulled the foil off the bird sooner (it came off at 5:30) to brown the turkey just a bit more. And I could have been more insistent about preparing a dressing, but the commander insisted we didn't need any more carbohydrates on the menu, or in her house... particularly the ones that she likes to eat to excess... drowning in gravy....

This was the test run, and we will look forward to cooking another turkey some time soon. I wouldn't be afraid to leave the turkey in the oven for a bit more time the next time we bring one home.

JED

Re: WFO Turkey Report

not bad for your first time. Results look like mine did last thanksgiving. We Stuffed a 17 pounder and gave it a run at nearly 500 degrees (no door for about 1/2 hr to let the temp drop into the mid 400 degrees . I left in uncovered for the 1st hr or so to get the brown crispy skin then covered it for the remaining 3 1/2 hrs. Came out wonderfull.......I am hoping to duplicate last year. I am not a turkey eater, but this one came out crisp skinned and the most juicy turkey I have ever eaten. We shall see what happens in a couple of week.

RT

Comment

Mmmm, that looks goooood! Its not really very hard to do, is it?

The rolls look very yummy, too. What stuffing did you put in the turkey in the end?
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

We ended up not stuffing this old bird.. dang....

We had enough carb's on the menu already, and the Mrs. didn't want the temptation of the stuffing... it really is irresistible... with good gravy... around the house encouraging over eating for days to come.. So we cooked the bird without the dressing...

Next time..

JED

Comment

In my family, we stuff the neck cavity, pull the skin down over it, and then roast the bird (even if we don't stuff the inside). That way you can slice the stuffing thinly and put it on a sandwich with turkey, gravy, and a little bit of the can-shaped cranberry sauce... boy is that good... although I'm sure it would be waaaay to carb laden for your missus. It's not great for me. I'd rather have that than pumpkin pie, though. We all make choices!

I'd never, ever eat canned cranberry sauce other than that, though. Anything that comes out shaped like the can is just not on the list.
          Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Re: WFO Turkey Report - UPDATE

Going to the inlaws for Thanksgiving - So I cooked a turkey for us today - so we could bring some along to make sure everyone takes home leftovers... I hope they like mine best!

Just came out of the oven. It smells so good.

Used the coffee can full of water in the back of the oven - it is super juicy - also used Alton Browns brine....

Well - gotta go steal some turkey!!!

Christo
            My oven progress -
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
            sigpic

Comment

Christo,

Now that is one good looking turkey bird!

How did it taste? Moist?

JED

Comment

Jed and Christo,

Way to go guys. Those both look great. I like the water in a coffee can idea, and firing your oven for three hours shows great conviction. :-)

How did the oven feel toward the end? 350F is very solid after all those hours -- so it doesn't sound like you were running any risk that the oven would be giving up at the end. It all sounds great.

I'm not "on" this year -- we're heading to my brother's house. His kids are back from college and we all get to catch up.

Happy Thanksgiving all.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I gotta tell ya. It was excellent! the light smokey flavor, wow!

I don't know why but much better than last year.

And really moist. So moist that the pan underneath the bird did not dry out or burn. Full of juicy goodness. The gravy we made from the pan was also really great. Hit the IR thermometer at the end and it showed a bit above 350. Still had one or two coals going on the fringe.

I'm kinda bummed about tomorrow. My plan was to not eat the turkey tonight, but my wife sorta kinda insisted. I'm glad she did. It was so good tonight. I can't imagine my brother in law will have a better turkey in an electric oven....

I love this oven!!!

Christo
                  Last edited by christo; 11-26-2008, 08:02 PM.
                  My oven progress -
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
                  sigpic

Comment

I bet this will be the most watched thread tomorrow.

I am planning two turkeys, a 14 lb bird inside and a 10 lb bird out in the wfo. I think I will not stuff the small bird and am planning to put it in at 450F. I think it will only take about 2 hours max at that temp. My oven holds the temp pretty well, I plan to fire for 2-3 hours (about the time I usually have it fired for pizza) then let it cool for 3-4 hours, so I will be up early to start it out. The turkey in the electric oven is really the main bird, the wfo one is an experiment. I plan to do some rolls and sides out there as well. It is supposed to snow a little here tomorrow, but I hope not much...

Drake
                    My Oven Thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                    X