Perfect Christmas Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Christmas Turkey

Thanks and much appreciation to all who posted their experience, giving me a clue on how to do it.

Cooked a 20 lb turkey for my wife's family Christmas and it was awesome. Started the fire for pizza at 930. Had pizza at 1130, then let it coast down. Made a butter rub out of butter, bacon grease, fresh thyme, sage, and garlic. Generously rubbed under the skin and then out. Stuffed the cavity with left over herbs, 2 lemons, and a quartered onion and let sit for 2 hours. Put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 30 minutes, covered the breasts with foil and then 3.5 hours later the thermometer said 165. It was huge hit.

God I love my oven! And this website that allowed me to build it.
    Wade Lively

Re: Perfect Christmas Turkey

Wow, nice looking bird. I've done 2 (Thanksgiving last year and this year) and both were cooked perfectly.....but yours actually LOOKS perfect. A WFO definitely does a better job of browning more evenly than an electric, as your photo proves. How did you get such a perfect "tan" in all areas? Mine looked good, but both times I had a little char in a couple of places as well as a couple of small patches that didn't brown much at all.
    I'm guessing the secret is your, butter and bacon fat rub........gotta love animal fat, it is a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing.

RT

Comment

Looks great Wade,
      I have one to do next Christmas and a whole year to experiment with the odd chicken and smaller turkey.
      I am yet to convince my wife to have faith in the WFO (also my ability to control it) and with a year to prove their worth, I expect it will be very busy year for the oven.
      Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
        I'm guessing the secret is your, butter and bacon fat rub........gotta love animal fat, it is a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing.

RT
        That's it, you are correct. I gotta say I wouldn't change a thing, as the smell alone was unbelievable. My wife kept wanting me to open the door and let the rest of the family take a whiff. And the lower parts of the turkey were very similar to Confit having been basted in all that dripping fat.
        Wade Lively

Comment

Working...
        X