Beef to go with your bread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef to go with your bread?

I saw this on anther "foodie" site and hesitate to put this in the FornoBravo's "Roasting and Grilling" because I think I'd eat this raw, at room temperature! But how about some meat to go with your bread?

Costco - Japanese Wagyu Beef Ribeye Roast 15 lb. Average

Re: Beef to go with your bread?

Holy crap, I think I can only afford the butchers paper it comes wrapped it. This stuff is $153 a lb. I believe the US Wagyu is a bit cheaper...but still around $100 a lb. Until I hit the Powerball, I can only dream.
    I read the 3 reviews on Costco - one guy in Texas says he buys 5 of these roasts a year. I love beef more than anything...but $11,000 a yr on rib roasts???? Wish he were my neighbor.

RT

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
      one guy in Texas says he buys 5 of these roasts a year.
      How much do you want to bet that his name rhymes with "small tree-like plant" and he uses a US Government credit card?

Comment

That makes the Veal Shanks I just bought at Whole Foods look downright reasonable!
        My Oven Thread:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

I'd feel cheated if mine was only 14lbs!
          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

It'd be cheaper to buy the cow, soybeans and saki and pay somebody to raise it for you.

I wonder how much the brisket is?
            Last edited by Archena; 12-28-2008, 06:10 PM.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

A similar situation was witnessed here in Adelaide just prior to Christmas when a woman asked for a large crayfish for the traditional lunch and was handed a Aus$265 crayfish. It currently sells for around $100 /Kg.The season is poor and the Japanese push the price up so we have to pay the same.
              She rejected it immediately and wanted an export quality crayfish. An 8.2kg one was produced with a $865 price tag which was fine. It was wrapped and accepted.
              It just goes to show what some people pay for their desires and we settle and are happy with the 'cheap cuts'.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Crayfish? $800 for crayfish?! A crayfish?! As in singular crayfish?! An $800 crayfish?!

$800 for something that I can skim off the bottom of a creek for free? $800 for a nasty little scavenger that spends its life under rotting wood in a creek?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Exhibit A. in the case of universal insanity...

A crayfish?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Well, if it weighed 8.2 kg, obviously it was the crayfish that ate New York. I like them as small critters, but I'm not sure I'd wanna eat one that big. I somehow don't think you'd have been able to dig that one up out of the muck in the creek, somehow... I suspect it would have eaten YOU.
                  Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                    Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Exhibit A. in the case of universal insanity...

A crayfish?
                    I suspect that in OZ that term refers to what we call 'lobster', not a good ol'fashioned Southern mudbug.

But at that price... it really doesn't matter. That price is nuts. We are paying $10/lb for American lobster in our Los Angeles area asian markets.

Comment

Egalecki: okay, that big I'd probably have to search around the base of a dam. Of course, there I'd be more worried about being eaten by the giant catfish...

Brian: I hope you're right. That would be one huge crayfish...

I live inland, but I can guarantee you our price for lobster isn’t much higher
                      Last edited by Archena; 12-29-2008, 10:52 AM.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Has to be a form of lobster.....that sucker was 18+ lbs. A local restaurant actually serves Aussie lobster, I've had it twice and in my opinion it is much sweeter/tastier than Maine lobster. Fortunately, both times were company meetings and I didn't have to pay the bill - I think it was $44 for a 1 1/2 tail or 2 smaller tails equaling 1 1/2 lbs.

Neill, where can I get one of these 8 kilo critters? Might as well order a couple of them at the same time I order a $2200 rib roast.....The ultimate "serf and terf".

RT

Comment

RT, don't forget dessert...

World's Most Expensive Desserts - ForbesTraveler.com

I’d go with the cheapie. I realize it’s only $6,000 a pound, but there’s nothing like fungi dug up by a pig snout to round out a meal…
                          Last edited by Archena; 12-29-2008, 11:25 AM.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Ack! Maybe he did mean crayfish...

Big Crayfish

[/CENTER]

Comment

The crayfish are deep salt water ones caught of the south east coast of South Australia from towns like Robe and Kingston.
                              They have a short season for their cray pots but get some rather large examples. It was down off the coast south of Mount Gambier on the border with Victoria (go on get out your atlases and check the locations out) that a huge deep water squid was caught which was around 12 metres long and weighed a 245Kg. It was sent to the Museum in Melbourne (the capital of the state of Victoria)
                              See: Museum Victoria: Public dissection of giant squid

Here is a U tube of a 15 lb crayfish:

YouTube - Roland's Giant Lobster!! 15Lbs HUGE!

Unfortunately, most of our wonderful sea food is shipped to japan where they pay a premium and so we have to as well. The Blue fin tuna are caught several hundred km off the coast and put into huge floating pens (some 100 metres in diameter and towed back to shore at Pt Lincoln where they are fattened and sold for up to $1000/kg. In fact Pt Lincoln has the highest number of multi-millionaires than anywherer else in Australia, all fishing industries.

Archena
                              we also have the Marron which is like an overgrown Yabbie (or as you call them fresh water lobsters) and also from the tropical waters, the Morton Bay Bugs. Do a Google search of these to compare to your 'crayfish'.

RT,
                              the best place I found to get really fresh living crayfish is down at a place called Port Turton on the Southern Yorke Peninsula straight off their cray boats. The centre section of the large wooden cray boats have hundreds of 2" holes drilled through the hull to continually flow fresh salt water through the catch and the crayfish are kept live for the premium markets. With a bit of cash, the skippers will sometimes sell you what you want at a much fairer price.

Neill
                              Last edited by nissanneill; 12-29-2008, 11:51 PM.
                              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                              Neill’s kitchen underway
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Working...
                              X