Cooking a Roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cooking a Roast

Thanks for the update. We're giving roast pork a try today (after pizza & bread last night). I didn't know whether to do the veggies w/ the roast or in a different pan for the last hour. Looks like you have good success using the "with" method. Maybe we'll try some of each -- especially since we, too, are still learning about heat management.

Comment

Yup, I had the veggies in with the roast the whole time and they turned out great! I also marinated the roast over night and then poured some onion soup on top before cooking but none of us liked the onion soup so I'll be skipping that next time.
      Shay - Centerville, MN

My Outdoor Kitchen/Pompeii WFO Build...

Comment

Cooked a boneless cross rib roast this weekend. Started with a hot oven on Saturday night and did up some pizzas. Early Sunday afternoon, I stuck some garlic cloves into the roast, rubbed it with freshly grated pepper and seared the roast in a pan with some left over bacon drippings.
        I put the roast on a broiling pan that usually just sits in the drawer under my kitchen range and stuck in a digital probe for the digital thermometer. Less than 2 hours later, the roast was ready and very moist. I also slipped in a pan of cabbage rolls at the same time and they turned out perfect as well. Only mistake I made was that I put in some potatos on the side but did not put them in early enough so they were not quite ready when the roast was. Could have used some fresh baked buns on the side but did not think of it until dinner was served.
        Just before we sat down to eat, I did put in a tray of baked apples which were perfectly cooked just as we were ready for dessert.

Comment

"What I'm wondering is what should the temp be in my oven when I put it in and then how long should I leave it?"

For a slow roast, I wait until my oven is 190 or so (the next afternoon after pizza the evening before). I first put the roast in my kitchen oven at 260 for 15 min then put it in my wood oven starting at 190 for 4 hours - comes out when meat temp hits 170.

Comment

Breads look great. What temps and how long?

Comment

Working...
            X