Ribs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribs?

I am jumping the gun a bit because I am just getting to the stage of pouring my hearth.

But has anyone ccoked ribs in he oven? If so what techniques did you use?
    How long and how did you cook them?

I did ribs, but they were mediocre

Rubbed them with a basic BBQ rub Friday Night. Kept them refrigerated until Sunday. Wrapped them in foil, put them in a roasting pan with a rack to keep them off the floor, baked them for about an hour at 400 degrees. The coals were smoldering; we may have tossed on a small log halfway through. We baked with the door on. My door has gaps on either side to let in some air.

They were cooked too hot and too quickly. Tasty, but not tender enough. If I were going to do it again, I would have done the same rub, the same long marinade, but I would have let the oven cool to 250 and baked them for at least two hours. Or maybe 200 and three hours.

The lower and the slower you cook them, the better they'll be. Note I kept them wrapped in foil; if I had not, I am wondering if they'd be dry and crispy.

I'd love to hear the wisdom of others on this topic.

Cheers,

- Fio
    There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

Mrpb...

It depends that you are looking for.

If you like crispy and medium, medium well ribs, could be good to go with high temperature and short baking time, 250 ?C 482 ?F and two hours.

If you are looking for tender ones, slow down the temperature to 150?C 302?F and let the ribs bake by four to six hours.

The ones in the picture were seasoned with barbecue salt and garlic, wrapped up with barbecue paper and baked to 150?C for 9+ hours. These were so tender (almost melted) that you could not use a knife to cut it. Delicious.

The second picture shows a same meat cut type, seasoned with barbecue salt, garlic, carrots, green pepper and some tomato slices. Wrapped and baked as above.

Luis

Comment

What is Barbecue Paper?

Comment

Richard:

Barbecue paper is a kind of cellophane foil that could be used to bake at high temperatures. It could be not reached by flames, but is excellent when used to wrap and bake foods in the oven (even home or brick one) without coals or with contained flames in it.

It is the paper that could be seeing opened in the picture above and closed or wrapped in the photo in annex.

It could be replaced by alluminium foil, too, however, I like those more because the facility to work with it.

The purpose of this foil is to maintain the food tender and tasty by baking it in her own juice.

Luis

Comment

I believe that you can buy a substitute. . .

Originally posted by Richard
            What is Barbecue Paper?
            Reynolds Aluminum, the makers of Reynolds Wrap, sells a turkey baking bag that is used for cooking turkeys.

Reynolds Oven Bags
            There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

Ribs

Fio,

Because mine is a bread oven, my rib approach is more an Adam location. I bake them, covered, in a heavy enamel over cast iron pot with a fair bit of liquid (rib sauce?) at very low temps for a long time. This usually happens after bread baking is finished and the hearth temp is below 300 F. Don't know how your oven performs, but I don't leave any coals in the oven, but I do leave the door on. If you wanted a crispier finished dish, a quick toss on the BBQ would work.

Jim
              "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Working...
              X