Slow Cooked Rib Strips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Cooked Rib Strips

Just thought I would drop a thread about some ribs I did over the xmas/new year. My wives uncle runs a meat works in central Queensland and was at our place along with my wives oldies for the holidays. He showed me these ribs when I was up at his place early last year and I have not been able to find them in Perth anywhere! I took him to my local butcher where he showed them how to cut them. The ribs are cut in a strip about 3 inches thick which includes the whole rib bone and all meat/fat surrounding. Anyway we fired up the oven to pizza hot and let in cool for about 30mins and in went the ribs to blast for about 20 - 30 mins to get some of the fat out and start the cooking proccess. We then removed the ribs and racked out 3/4 of the coals and let the oven cool so I was able to keep my hand in for a good 6 seconds. We made up the sauce/marinade and in went the ribs for 7 hours. (photos will be on here very soon!!) We had 18 people over for New Years and the 4 rib strips where gone in 30 seconds I kid you not!!!! The meat and the fat around the rib bone was like butter and they were the best ribs I have ever had.....no more eating out at steak houses for me, the resturant bought ribs are just too dissapointing now!!!

Re: Slow Cooked Rib Strips

That sounds wonderful!
    I would love to eventually do racks of spareribs in a WFO besides doing them on my Weber kettle. I'm really curious to see how they turn out.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Beef or pork?
      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

I look forward to seeing the pics ... and the recipe???

BTW have you had ribs at the Trigg Island Cafe? If not - definitely worth a visit there to compare to yours. In my view they are the best I have ever tasted. These pork ribs simply fall off the bone and can be ordered in regular or chilli versions....

Rossco
        / Rossco

Comment

The ribs I cooked where Beef ribs. The way the butcher cut them was if you have the whole rack on a bench in front of you, you cut them horizontally in strips of about 3 to 4 inches wide. You include the full section of bone, plus all the meat and fat that lies under the first sheet of muscle. The sauce I do them in is a mix of Sweet Chilli, chives, soy, ginger, maple syrip (i know...sounds strange), about 6 cloves of garlic and a few other bits. I did them again for my b'day just gone for my family and the old man who has had the odd rib or 5 said they are the best he has had!! I have been to the Trigg Cafe Rosco, but that was years ago...must get up there and try them one day. I am doing night shift at the moment, but when I wake up tomorrow I will be sure to put some pics on here.

Comment

Sounds good Scott - describing the rib making process is making me feel hungry!!!!

Yes, Trigg is good - you won't be disappointed...

Rossco
            / Rossco

Comment

Here are a couple of photos....havent got any of the finshed product though...we were all too busy pigging out!!

Comment

Nice looking oven - is it a kit build??

Rossco
                / Rossco

Comment

Yes it is a Kit built oven...I have a picture of the oven on my profile and will post more soon. It is just about complete, I just need to either tile the bench or get some kind of stone done...not sure yet which one (cost may be a bit of a factor too!). Have found this oven to be really good as it only takes 50 mins to get Pizza hot and it retains its heat for a long time as I did these ribs and a 10 kg leg of ham over 6 - 8hrs. After I took 3/4 of the coals out the temp stayed around the 150 to 110 C for a long time which was great to see as it is the first time I have slow cooked in the oven. The only other meats I have cooked in the WFO is a sholder of pork which i cooked at a very high heat. I covered it in foil and put some water with chicken stock in the bottom of the pan. I worked really well and didnt burn the meat at all. And although it only took 90 mins to cook it, after kind of working out the slow cooking process, I will be doing all my meats this way!!!

Comment

Sounds good ... have you made some pizza/bread in it too?

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

Hi,
                      Yes, we have made a stack of Pizzas in the WFO. And it is only now that we feel that they are starting to get really good! I started using the dough recipe that is on this site except I add Italian Mixed Herbs to it before I mix the yeast and salt in and have found the pizzas to be fantastic!! It takes a while to work out your oven too I think. We have even got a really good sauce recipe that i slowly simmer for 50 mins before letting it cool and using it. I think the best pizza I make (my wife will disagree with me, as she thinks her pizzas are better!!) is a prosutto and fetta...comes out great!! As for bread...it is something I really want to try soon. Have done a little reading on it, and it sounds slightly complicated in terms of adding humidity and things like that. The only kind of bread I have done is a flat garlic bread where I combined two pizza dough balls and stretched it adding holes through out the dough then crush 3 cloves of garlic, oragarno, salt and olive oil..spread all over and out it comes. Will like to try things like cibatta and sour dough and others one day.

Comment

Sounds great!!

Just thinking about possible things here - perhaps we can look at going halves on a shipment of Caputo flour sometime in the future. Have you considered Caputo as an option? It is pretty pricey at $140 /25 kg but if you order 2 bags you get free shipping. I am keen to try it but would like to go for 12.5 kg to start with. Just something to think about. Let me know if you are interested.

Rossco
                        / Rossco

Comment

Hey Rossco,
                          Thanks for the offer mate...sorry for the late reply, have been busy with work and everything else! Will have to check with the Minster for Finance (the Mrs) about that one!!! We have a good supply of '00' Tipo flour at the moment though.

Comment

Sounds good Scott....

Btw what 00 are you using? Molino Pizzuti by any chance?

Rossco
                            / Rossco

Comment

Just a quick note to say I am doing my ribs again tomorrow...will make sure I take more photos this time to show the proccess better...cant wait till they are ready!!!! Going to do my first heath bread tomorrow too..should be intresting, started my Biga this morning so it should be ready to mix by 11am in the morning!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X