24 hour black-eyed peas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 hour black-eyed peas

I hate to waste all that heat, so I filled the crockpot with dried black-eye peas, tomatos, sausage, onions, cilantro and jalapenos and spices.

I put it in at 520 degrees, so I will have to check the water in a couple hours then again in the morning. I plan on putting the lid on before bed tonight and eating them tomorrow about this time. I sure hope the crock pot doesn't crack....

Re: 24 hour black-eyed peas

Almost bedtime, so I added another 3 cups of water (I added three cups around 8:00), stirred them and doored it back up. The temp is down to 410 degrees.

Comment

Tscarborough,

We will use the oven heat to cook off a pot of beans just about every other time we heat up the oven... again, I like to make use of the heat in that 'retained heat masonry oven'.

I have collected a couple of cast iron pots, and that is what we use to slow cook stuff. I try to use the enameled pots with the recipe's with tomatoes... try to keep the acid from the tomatoes from cutting the 'cure' on the cast iron.

I will typically get the temperatures closer to the 350 degree mark before putting the pot in the oven for an overnight cook. I'll be curious to see how your pot - o - beans comes out starting at the higher temps.

Keep us posted!

Thanks,

JED

Comment

How do you measure temps?

I have quite a few "dutch ovens" they type scouts use most often and hope to use them in the future.
        Derk

Comment

It was at 350 this morning at 6:00AM, I added 3 more cups of water and sealed it back up to cook for 11 more hours (when I get home from work).

I use a IR heat gun from harbor freight.

I have all sizes cast iron pots, dutch ovens, and frying pans, I didn't even think about using them for some reason.

Comment

Thanks,

I think I will keep my eye out for a gun. We have a Harbor Freight north and south of our place.

Thermocouples are neat but a little too pricey, would much rather put the extra $ into the oven or pizza supplies.

Comment

Oh yeah.

Comment

Working...
              X