Beef back ribs, moink ball, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef back ribs, moink ball, etc...

I had a few people over at the house last night for the USC/Hawaii game so I decided to do some beef back ribs, moink balls, potatoes, green salad, and steamed rice.
    I loaded the charcoal basket with briquettes for the long and slow burn with a chunk of oak for smoke. The potato wedges roasted with drippings from the ribs above on the rack. I kept everything simple and fast last night, using Sweet Baby Ray's Chipotle bbq sauce for the ribs and moink balls.
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Re: Beef back ribs, moink ball, etc...

Nice, I have not seen anyone cooking with a charcoal basket like that before. Did you put the door on?

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
      Nice, I have not seen anyone cooking with a charcoal basket like that before. Did you put the door on?

Drake
      I have control over temperature by using charcoal. Yes, you need to put the door on, otherwise the coals will burn too fast. The basket of coals will last for several hours with the dome temp running at about 275F. You use the door as a vent by placing it a little ajar, which controls the amount of air entering and exhausting the chamber.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

That is a great idea with the ribs above the potatoes. A great way to baste the potatoes.

Comment

Hey George, where did you get that basket?

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

George, I too would like to know where you found the basket (looks like it has a fairly long handle).
            Also, did you preheat the oven at all? Seems to me a cold oven would suck up alot of the heat from a basket of charcoal. I really like this idea for ribs or pork butt. I've been doing the full blown heat up and then utilizing the cool down the next day, but I usually have to start a small fire to get my smoking chunks going. Your idea seems perfect for a Sunday afternoon of ribs after a Saturday of not using the oven, which happens often.
            I watch all of these BAR B Q shows, it never dawned on me to use brickettes or lunp wood charcoal.
            Thanks for sharing

RT

Comment

That's a grilling basket that I've used in the past for grilling vegetables. I believe I bought it at Home Depot. The wooden handle has long since burned off since I've been using it in the wfo.

But after several uses in the wfo I'm finding out that the basket is a bit small as it will not hold a full chimney full of briquettes. It does take about an hour to saturate the dome to 300F from a cold start, although internal air temp ideal for smoking will be reached much sooner than that so you can immediately start cooking. Midway through the smoke I find myself replenishing the basket with about a handful more of briquettes.

The next chance I get I will be fabricating a larger charcoal basket out of expanded metal, something semi-circular in shape and a bit taller that will fit nicely against the dome wall so it will not take up too much space.

I only use this method when starting a cold oven and need to bring it only up to low and slow temps, which is often. It's a lot less hassle than using wood, IMO.
              Last edited by fxpose; 09-26-2010, 12:41 PM.
              George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Moink balls? I see bacon--what is it wrapped around?

I have a whole 5 gallon pail full of oak charcoal chunks that I've saved from when I clean out early for bread baking. This looks like a good way to use them!

Comment

Originally posted by splatgirl View Post
                  Moink balls? I see bacon--what is it wrapped around?
                  Meatballs.

moo + oink, oink....
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

Great innovation Fx and I like Splat's idea of saving and using the unburned charcoal. I might need 2 baskets for my 43".

Chris

PS The ribs look damn good!
                    PSS I had thought that the basket was from a fryer. I need to take a look at the restaurant supply and see what they have that might work.
                    Last edited by SCChris; 09-30-2010, 07:06 AM.

Comment

HI Chris, I think the fryer is a great idea. They definitely have more capacity and shouldn't take up much space.

I'm also thinking of making a simple non-insulated door with adjustable vent openings at the top and one at the bottom for regulating air flow. I don't think you really need a well insulated door for this particular set up as very tiny amount of air flow is required to feed the charcoal and smoke wood for the slow burn time.
                      Last edited by fxpose; 09-30-2010, 09:51 AM.
                      George

My 34" WFO build

Comment

i gotta stop looking at this postings...damn I'm getting hungry!@!

Comment

Working...
                        X