Granola

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granola

Well, we are part of the "Granola Belt" here on the West Coast, (Salt Spring, Canada). So, we have to make granola, and the WFO is the best way to make it is usually at the end of an evening, or the next morning, when the oven still has residual heat, around 200F for a few hours.

Recipes are endlessly adaptable, but here is ours,...
    6 cups rolled oats
    Chopped nuts, any variety, about a cup
    1 cup pumpkin seeds and 1 cup sunflower seeds
    1 cup honey and/or maple syrup
    1 cup sunflower oil.

Mix so that all the dry ingredients are coated, spread out on metal trays and toast in the oven for a few hours. Not too hot; 150F to 200F. When golden and toasty, blend in a cup of dried fruit, e.g. raisins, cranberries.

Re: Granola

Great idea!

No Granola Belt here in Louisiana...more like the Pork Belt, but I'll try this anyway.
    Ernie

Ducane 5 Burner Stainless / 34 Inch WFO

Comment

Not much granola belt around here either, but I really like granola and have been making it for quite awhile. I probably eat it 3 or 4 times a week...with yogurt and fresh berries of some kind. I really like the way the WFO bakes granola, when I used the electric oven, I always battled with over-browning on the edges, not so with the even heat of the WFO. I buy organic thick rolled oats by the 25# bag from Bob's Redmill. Here is my recipe:

1 cup coconut oil
      1 cup raw honey
      1 teaspoon RealSalt
      3 tablespoons real vanilla
      2 tablespoons cinnamon
      8 cups oats
      1 cup milled flax seed
      2 cups nuts (pecans, walnuts, or almonds...or combo)
      2 cups dried fruit (dried blueberries, raisins, or dates...or combo)
      1 cup coconut (optional)

I mix the oats, flax seed, nuts, coconut, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Then I warm up (low) the honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and salt in a pan and then pour it on the dry ingredients and coat evenly.

I place parchment paper on half sheet rimmed pans (2) and bake at 275 (or so...not more than 300) for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. After cooling off, I add the dried fruit.
      Last edited by Grimaldi; 09-06-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

I've been wanting to make granola for a while and it hadn't occurred to me to try it in the WFO. This is a great thread. Thanks, all. I'm going to try a batch this weekend.

Comment

Working...
        X