Island Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Island Pizza

I was reading through some articles about Anthony Mangieri's Una Pizzeria Napoletana. Besides the fact that you should sell what your customers want, not what you want, the most common complaint was that his pies are soggy in the center. I have never had a true Neapolitan Style pizza, but the center of any pie is problematical in that it will always be the least cooked and yet be the smallest and most heavily loaded area.

So, I says to myself, why not eliminate it altogether? Now a doughnut hole would work, but a much simpler solution would be to leave a mound of dough in the middle. An Island, if you will, of crusty goodness in the center of the pie.

Since I was making my dough for this weekend, I decided to do a proof of concept pie. Note that the dough is less than an hour old and cooked in the electric oven. and I didn't plan on eating the pie, but my daughter did anyway, all of it.

Re: Island Pizza

Interesting thread title. I was expecting the dreaded pineapple-and-ham pizza!

I have th problem too. Interesting solution.

Re: eating the pie... I'm a firm believer that the evidence should always be eaten.

Comment

Brilliant concept! Since the edge is my favorite part of the pizza I'd like to try this for myself.
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Great looking pizza Tom, I am slowly getting the hang of our style of oven. Pizza for all last Sunday and dropped in a 15 or so lb turkey in a dutch oven with foil tent on tuesday, about 240 deg or so. 11 1/2 hours later the meat fell off the bone. You could not lift it out of the dutch oven.

Hope all is well with you.

We will be starting this years honey crop this weekend. I will let you know when it gets in the buckes and send you a sample.

Derk

Comment

I need to do a practice turkey, since I have already committed to one for T-Day. That sounds like the kind I want to do. I have a huge unruly thyme bush that wants to sacrifice it's life to a turkey dinner.

Comment

You may have created the next gimmick pizza from Dominos or Phut.
            The above mentioned problems are the exact reasons why I also experiment. I have more than a few concept pizzas that will be worth a second try...I think I will add your doughnut pizza to my next bake

RT.

Comment

Its the Bagizza the Bagel Pizza......nice idea.....
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
              X