How to cook the Thanksgiving turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cook the Thanksgiving turkey

I would like to know the best way to cook the turkey. Do you cook it with the ambers in? I do not like the smokey flavor. Or take the coals out of the oven to cook the turkey. Also, could you put the stuffing in the bird when cooking it? Also, when cooking the side dishes, like potatoes and sweet potatoes when is the best time to put them in. Is it recommended to use the pop-up that comes with the turkey or use a thermometer. What temperture should it be?

Re: How to cook the Thanksgiving turkey

I just made my first turkey in my recently finished Pompei oven! I brought some at work today, made turkey sandwiches and all the guys loved it! I used the recipe on Forno bravo's site:
    Brick Oven Roast Whole Turkey
    It's simple, worked out fine for me, never having cooked a turkey before! Just follow the recipe. Actually my oven was around 375F/ 350F and I did not even use the aluminum foil as per the recipe and it turned out moist and delicious!
    I cooked it with the ambers in, they don't bother me, you can take them out if you like. Didn't use stuffing, it should'nt make a difference, didn't make any potatoes this time, my main thing was to see how the turkey came out so that I'll be ready for Thanksgiving. No pop up, I used a meat thermometer that you need to stick in the thigh, turkey is ready at 180F. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

Thank for the info give it a try

Comment

No pop up, I used a meat thermometer that you need to stick in the thigh, turkey is ready at 180F.
        The pop up timer is calibrated by food industry liability lawyers. Don't use it unless you like turkey the consistency of cardboard.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I've never cooked turkey in my life so my wife freaked out when I suggest that I should perhaps roast a turkey in the wfo for T-giving....
          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Thanks for the information on the pop-up thermometer. I will use the meat thermometer instead. I will be doing a test turkey on Thursday, I will let you know how it comes out.

Comment

Try this:

YouTube - How to Butterfly a Chicken

it will cook much faster and more evenly.

Comment

A medium sized turkey might be beyond the scope of kitchen scissors. A sharp, rigid, knife may work better.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Butterflying may be the way to go as my oven opening is rather low.
                  George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Well I cooked my first turkey , and it came out great. It took two hours and 15 minutes for a 12 pounder . Also made roasted potatoes and stuffing. I AM READY FOR THANKSGIVING!

Comment

Alton Brown, of FoodTV, does a high heat turkey recipe, that we have done many times in our inside oven. Besides brining the turkey for 2 days , he starts a 500 degrees. I suspect that is because that is all that an electric residential oven will go to. The problem is that he then drops the temp to 350. Well, here it is.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Set the thermometer alarm (if available) to 161 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for 15 minutes before carving.

Comment

Originally posted by josephl View Post
                        Well I cooked my first turkey , and it came out great. It took two hours and 15 minutes for a 12 pounder . Also made roasted potatoes and stuffing. I AM READY FOR THANKSGIVING!
                        Jose,

What was the temperature of the oven and did you get any burning on the bottom side? I would think that the bird would want to be off the floor. Maybe sitting the pan on a tuscan grill?

I may give this a try this year.

Les...
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Hi Les,

When I made the turkey I put in a big pan ontop of a bed of onions, celery,
                          cut up carrots and a cup of water. Also coated the turkey with olive oil. Put in the meat thermometer in the thick part of the breast and covered it with aluminun foil and put it on the floor of the oven. The oven was at 500 degrees. It took about 2 hours and 15 minutes for a 12 pound turkey or when the thermometer hits 180 degrees. The turkey did not come out burnt. It was nice and golden brown on top and the bottom was not burnt because it was sitting on the bed of vegetables. There was about 2 inches of juice in the pan from the turkey that made the bottom to soft. Next time I will take the foil off about an hour after cooking to evaporate some of the juice. Give it a try it is easy. Also, I removed all the ambers before I put the turkey in.

Comment

Thanks! 500 degrees is perfect if I want to cook some bread as well. My better half is worried about getting the drippings for gravy - I can figure this out. It sounds like the bird wants to be raised a little bit off the veg's so it browns on the bottom as well. When I put a bird in the smoker, I give it 1/2 hour per pound. To cook a 12 pound turkey in a little over 2 hours is incredible. If I screw this up - I know where they keep the restaurants.

Thanks again,

Les...

Comment

Ok - I need a little more input. It looks like a 12 pound bird can cook in 2 hours, 3 pounds in 1/2 hour, I get that. My wife just brought home a 22 pound bird. Is the time linear or is there another variable? Cooking this thing at 500 degrees gives me some concern.
                              Any input would be appeciated.

Les...

Comment

Working...
                              X