Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmelized Apple Tart

Hi folks,
    Tonight I did some kebob skewers of lamb, pork and beef with some roasted winter vegetables. They came out very well as I thought they would. I was doing an apple tart that I have cooked many times in the indoor oven so I thought I would give it a try in the WFO. It turned out wonderfully so am going to share the recipe.

Start by making the crust: combine in a large bowl or KA mixer bowl
    1 1/2 cups all purpose flour ( pizza flour works just fine)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 egg yolks
    1 stick butter cut into 1/2" cubes
    If you have a KA mixer, put all ingredients into bowl, use mixing attachment and mix on 2 for about 5 minutes. If you don't have a KA mixer: combine all ingredients and start mashing it all together with both hands: after about 5 minutes it will start to become a dough. Once it is all incorporated into a homogenous dough, put it onto a bread board and press it out to a 10-12" round that matches the diameter of your oven proof skillet. It helps to turn it over frequently while you are pressing it out so it doesn't stick to the board. Once you have it the same diameter as your skillet, transfer it to a plate and put it into the refrigerator. Once the crust is finished start on the filling.

Peel 5 large apples, cut in half, core and slice them into 1/4" slices.
    Using your oven proof skillet: melt one stick of butter over med-low heat. Once the butter is melted, sprinkle the sugar evenly over the butter, add a sprinkling of cinnamon.
    Lay the apples on top of the butter/sugar mixture overlapping them around the edge, then around the inner circle. raise the heat to med/high. Once the sugar has melted increase the heat to high and let it bubble away for 20-25 minutes until the butter/sugar turns a nice amber color( I usually add a bit of cognac or brandy at this point but it isn't required) Once the sugar is carmelized remove it from the heat and let it rest for 10 minutes. Place the crust on top of the apples.
    Cook it in your WFO at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Take it out once the crust is golden brown. Let it cool at least 30 minutes.

To serve: heat on stove over high heat for about 3 minutes( until you see and hear it bubbling) Invert it onto a plate in one smooth quick motion( it should release easily). Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Enjoy,
    Eric

Re: Carmelized Apple Tart

Hmmmm...2 sticks of butter...this has to be good! (that's the best I can do until someone invents a mouth-watering smilie ).

I have a bag of apples that have been waiting for this recipe.

Eric, how much sugar do you sprinkle over the melted butter before adding the sliced apples?

Comment

Working...
    X