Back in the Swing of Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the Swing of Things

Getting warmer outside, and things have settled down a bit, so I'm back in the WFO mode. Several firings for pizza so far, and starting to experiment with roasting more.

Yesterday Put in a Boston Butt and let it cook while I made some clams in one of my paella pans. Later on put a Turkey in and let both meats sit in overnight. Awoke this am and oven was 375 still, not bad without an insulated door (just a wooden door with sheetmetal on the inside).

The clams were a semi success, mainly because I used a pan that was too small and many of the clams just did not open the way I liked. I transferred to a larger pan and finished on the rangetop. Lesson Learned...

Boston Butt was amazing. Rubbed it down with a spice rub and let it roast wtih a good fire, sealed in foil for 3-4 hours, then before I put the door on for the night I poured some apple juice in the bottom. Amazing results.

The turkey I was not sure about. We got it super sale after Christmas, and just froze it. My wife thawed it, so I threw it in the oven. I put it in right before I put the door on last night, and it cooked over night. Surprisingly the meat was still very juicy in the breasts. The lower bird was amazing! It kind of cooked in it's own juices, and turned out basically like a turkey confit. Will definitely do it again.

At the moment have some veg roasting, Cauliflower, fingerlings, and onions. Also put in an asian rubbed pot roast, gonna let her go all day and take it out tonight. Did alot of cooking over the weekend to eat on over the week. Hope to do that alot this season.

Pics attached of what I got.
    Last edited by Erniegarcia76; 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM. Reason: Add Photos
    Ernie

Ducane 5 Burner Stainless / 34 Inch WFO

Re: Back in the Swing of Things

Can't wait to see the pics!
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Re: Back in the Swing of Things

That looks pretty good ! wonder why the clams didn't come out looked good though can't wait to get started

Comment

Working...
      X