No announcement yet.

what I cooked yesterday and last week!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what I cooked yesterday and last week!

HI there
    Thought I'd show you what I cooked last sunday and this - I'm teaching myself to cook in the wood oven
    Last Sunday
    I cooked a briam - like ratatouille but Greek version (minus eggplants/aubergines - hate the things)
    stuffed tomatoes - Greek style (what can I say - it's where I learned to cook!) the tomatoes were too juicy - hence there's too much liquid - this did reduce once they'd cooled.
    Chicken and potatoes (last sunday and this - youngest refuses to try my other efforts!

This Sunday
    chicken wings in my spicy BBQ sauce (which I made up with whatever I had in the cupboards - still tasted nice!)
    then the chicken and potatoes
    followed by a beef stew (for today) with red wine etc which I put in in the afternoon and left for 7 hrs - my oven is shop bought and doesn't retain heat probably as well as it should.

Have to say I impress myself!!!!!! Just have to learn not to use too much wood like I did yesterday and the chicken cooked at super speed!
    If anyone wants me to tell them the recipes (all made up in my mind) be glad to!
    Last edited by asimenia; 07-31-2011, 09:52 PM.

Re: what I cooked yesterday and last week!

Those look good to me What temperature are you using for those dishes?

I'm wanting to get smart about briam, its new to me.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: what I cooked yesterday and last week!

Bit late in the day - but I don't use a thermometer - but light the oven and keep it lit till dome is white - then I let the flame go out - push the ashes to the sides/back - leave to cool slightly and cook in order of what I would in a normal oven (highest temp first etc)
      Briam first:
      I used
      sliced courgettes (zucchini)
      sliced onions
      green bell peppers sliced
      thinly sliced potatoes
      2 cloves garlic - sliced
      2 tins chopped tomatoes
      tsp sugar
      loads of freshly chopped parsley
      dried oregano
      plenty salt/black pepper
      3tbsp olive oil (or if you are Greek - glug glug glug!)
      throw everything in baking pan - top with water (to top of veg) mix
      pour over olive oil and bake in oven without foil or lid (close door)- you'll see when it's cooked
      Serve with feta cheese and crispy fresh bread.
      Last edited by asimenia; 12-20-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X