N.Y. Strip Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.Y. Strip Steaks

I decided to try out my new "Tuscan Grill" with some NY strips. They cooked to medium-well in about five minutes at near pizza temp. Still, they were very juicy and much more flavorful than on a gas grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oven build 056.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	317947

Name:	oven build 067.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	317948

Name:	oven build 068.jpg
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	317949
    Build Thread, http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...-pa-13750.html

Re: N.Y. Strip Steaks

The steaks sure look good. I imagine 2 - 3 minutes (at 650 - 750 F) would be medium rare. How far is the grill off of the pizza oven floor and what type of wood were you using?

Comment

To be honest, I'm not completely sure about the wood. I have a stack of mixed hardwoods, mostly oak, maple and locust. The grill is cast iron with 4" legs. I set it on the hearth and raked about a 1' layer of fresh embers underneath.
      i was surprised how fast they cooked. Next time, I'll turn them sooner for sure. I prefer something closer to medium-med.rare.
      Build Thread, http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...-pa-13750.html

Comment

We find the best way to obtain a rare steak is to have the steak cut thicker. If you cook a thin steak for less time you do not get the great crust that the wood fired oven can produce. See our thread Steaks on the Tuscan grill from last fall. Carl

Comment

You can cook steaks directly on the coals. You don't need a grill.

Comment

I have not tried cooking direcly on the coals. We also cook whole fish but rather than on the grill we cook on a sheet pan on top of coarsely chopped fennel and carrots. The fish cook beautifully and come out as though the were grilled in about 8 min or so. I'll post a picture the next time we do fish. Carl

Comment

Working...
            X