Two Interesting Pizzas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Interesting Pizzas

Last night we made 14 pizzas just experimenting with different combinations. Of course the pies with homemade pesto were a hit as were the ones with home grown heirloom tomatoes (canned, frozen or dried). But the biggest hit had to be the sweet potato pizza. It was simply olive oil, chopped garlic, thinly sliced uncooked sweet potato and asiago cheeze. D Double Delicious! Another hit was the pear pizza. It was olive oil, sliced over-ripe pear and bleu cheeze sprinkled very lightly with cinnamon. Everyone went home stuffed to the rafters. Man I love my brick oven.

Craig

Re: Two Interesting Pizzas

Hey Craig, I was intrigued enough by your post - we had WFO pesto pizza two weeks ago, which is my favorite so far... and then I saw you're located 12 miles from Snowbird. I grew up 13 miles from Snowbird, right off Wasatch Blvd. I'm a Brighton HS alum. Small world.

You getting any snow this year?

Comment

Actually its a record low year and we might get a new license plate slogan: "Greatest Manmade Snow on Earth."

Comment

I was intrigued by your "Sweet potato pie" and we tried it last night. I wanted a little color and bought both a sweet potato and a yam. My wife suggested using the mandoline and we used it to thinly slice the sweet potato, yam, and the garlic. I just laid out the slices on the dough, sprinkled crumbled Asiago over them, and drizzled a little EVOO over the pie. I was prepping the oven for bread and so this pizza was baked at about 550? ...not the "proper" temp for pizza, but it was just for us and simply a taste test...

Pretty happy with it and will definitely be putting this in our regular suggested toppings list. (We made these as little appetizers and cut each one into 4 pieces...we're not really into big, perfectly round pizza shapes-more into great flavors. By the way, we reheated one of these little pies later during the bread bake for our neighbor and it was still pretty good!)

Thanks for a great idea! Also looking forward to trying your pear/bleu cheese combo soon.
        Last edited by SableSprings; 01-24-2012, 11:00 AM.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Today we cooked pizzas again and had to experiment further with the sweet potato pie. Ingredients: Olive oil, minced garlic, fresh rosemary, thinly sliced uncooked sweet potato, unspiced pork sausage, Mozzarella and a small amount of Goat and fresh grated Parmesan cheeze. Delicious.

Also this evening I cooked my first ever sourdough bread and have to say it was one of the best loaves of bread I've ever had. Amazing crust, light and airy crumb, and a flavor like I've never had. Much different than the sourdoughs I've had in restaurants. Everyone loved it. The starter was the potato flake and sugar variety I started two weeks ago. Never again yeast bread.

Comment

Working...
          X