Big WFO weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big WFO weekend

While Mrs R did the finishing touches to the doors (made from the wood from pallets) on the oven stand I started preparations for the evening meal.

The previous day a new flour caught my eye while in the supermarket called pizza flour (Allied Mills) so it came home with me. While I has some dough already prepared this was love at first touch, it felt soft and malleable and very little elasticity. No time for resting this dough it was put straight to work.

As our friends arrived they were greeted with roasted mushrooms (herb butter, parmesan cheese and paprika). Later that night on my new found best friend dough we handed out a shrimp/prawn with pesto and tomato pizza followed by a cinnamon lamb pizza. They turned out just right. As the fruit of the vine and brew from the barley helped the pizzas go down the evening was moving along very nicely.

In between the "grown up" pizzas the kid and a mate put together their pineapple, ham and cheese pizza. A little later mate was still hungry so they used some to the left over ingredients to make another.

A quick query of the guests revealed that no more main course was required so I popped the pear and berry crumble in oven entrance to warm up. 30 minutes later I smelt the wiff of sweet fruits was able to serve them the desert.

In the meantime, while clearing a few things away I made a couple of margheritttas to quickly cook and put in the fridge for another day.

A good night was had by all.

After the guests left I put the oven door on (made from hardwood pallets) as I had plans for the oven tomorrow.

By mid morning the next day one one of the two "spare" pizzas had disappeared.

Our neighbour had given us dressed duck a few days earlier so Sunday was going to be a zero miles day (well sort of). It started with roast duck, roast pumpkin again from our neighbour, our spinach, plus some bought potatoes, carrots and broccoli. After the fire was reignited it all went in the oven and a couple of hours later we were all enjoying a tasty Sunday roast.

Today, the phone went and Mrs R was now having a friend for lunch. So, off came the oven door and in went a little more wood. Our friend enjoyed the last of the prepared dough with some nice toppings for lunch. Never one to waste anything Mrs R got to work on the chopping board and for dinner tonight we enjoyed a beef casserole followed by our own baked quinces.

Yum.Yum. Yum.

We might let the WFO have a day off tomorrow!

Re: Big WFO weekend

Alan and Wendy, I welcome you both aboard this fine forum
    great to see another Aussie contributing to the forum.
    Great to see that you are utilising and enjoying the construction and finished oven. The more you use it, the more you will enjoy it,especially when you establish the things to cook, their order, temperatures and spread over a couple of days.
    Gaganis Bros on South Road Hindmarsh here in Adelaide are great for all your flours and ingredients. Many of our local members shop there, but you will need to take the ute!

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Allan.......must say I too like the Allied Mills pizza and foccacia mix flours.
      Best price I could get it at was one of the bulk food suppliers at cavan

Gagganis pretty good spot, use their white flour for lighter breads and cakes

I find the Laucke Wallaby bakers flour to get great results with your more rustic breads like ciabatta
      .........happy to hear your experiences with others
      Cheers
      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

hi im in Tasmania,but originally south aust
        I have found the Laucke Wallaby flour excellent for rustic bread
        Defiance is also good. A freind has a 2.25 M diam oven and his mum up until recently bked 100 loaves of bread 3 times a week in it( 50 at a time)
        she was a Laucke fan also
        I have 2 ovens. One at my shack in high lands, and one at home.Both are red brick, both work extremely well
        my freinds oven is red brick and clay from back yard as mortar, It was rebuilt after 17 years
        cheers, giulio

Comment

Gee Giulo I would be pleased to get 17 years out of my oven!

I have been using Laucke Wallaby flour as well and it has worked fine.

Last time I went to Gagganis was before I had my oven and I nearly need to call the bank manager to arrange for payment of everything I stacked in the trolley(s)! As you say Neill It might be a ute job next time I go.

The owner of my local IGA is a home pizza maker which is why I could get hold of the Alllied flour. Yesterday I picked a kg packet of molini pizzuti fine italian pizza flour from her shop. I cant wait to give that a go.

I am still trying to get the right mix so I can stretch the dough rather the have to roll it out.'

Thanks for your support guys

Comment

Allan
            There is one pizza flour which i tried which was not that great - Milano. Saw it pretty cheap in central grocers and it was too good to be true.

Not tried Molini so be good to hear how it goes. A 00 flour is also good for making pasta - I have a machine and make a bit here and there

Pretty cool how your local IGA gets Allied stuff
            Cheers
            Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I too have tried may different flours, in fact every OO and Milano, but keep coming back to the unbleached Gagganis white flour. I didn't find their pizza flour any better.
              I must admit that I roll out my dough rather than tossing it, as do my guests, probably because it is quicker and they both can't toss it and and are ravenous.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

I will get some of the Gagganis unbleached flour on my next tip to Adelaide. I like the idea of unbleached flour.

For some of my pizzas I have been using 1/2 wholemeal flour. I like it, prbably cos I know it is better for me. The kids always go for the white base.

Comment

I have tried the Gagganis wholemeal flour, mainly for breads, but found it rather heavy. Their multigrain is not bad and got a 12.5kg bag the other week for the mother in law as she loves the home made breads and was around the $28 mark. The unbleached 12.6Kg bags are in the $16 price range from memory. They also have the special Pizza flour if you want to try thay out.

Cheers.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Working...
                  X