Sweet Potatos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potatos

I tried the recipe from the last newsletter that had you put the sweet potato directly in the oven.

The results were mixed. Indeed, the process was dramatic and the product was beautiful, but the taste was less than stellar.

It was a little bland.

I find that the taste was better if you put the sweet potato on aluminium foil in a cast iron skillet at 350f for 3 hours. It is slow enough for the sugars to caramelize and develop that wonderful sweetness.

I am going to keep the old tried and true method. Also, my wife likes the original method of cooking the potatoes.

Re: Sweet Potatos

Originally posted by navyintel View Post
    I tried the recipe from the last newsletter that had you put the sweet potato directly in the oven.

The results were mixed. Indeed, the process was dramatic and the product was beautiful, but the taste was less than stellar.

It was a little bland.

I find that the taste was better if you put the sweet potato on aluminium foil in a cast iron skillet at 350f for 3 hours. It is slow enough for the sugars to caramelize and develop that wonderful sweetness.

I am going to keep the old tried and true method. Also, my wife likes the original method of cooking the potatoes.
    Don't blame it on the cooking method, you had bland potatoes. If you have a really good potato, when cooked in your oven, it will caramelize into a sticky, honey, mind bending delicious, mouth watering delicacy. That I promise that you will not want to share with anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      Don't blame it on the cooking method, you had bland potatoes. If you have a really good potato, when cooked in your oven, it will caramelize into a sticky, honey, mind bending delicious, mouth watering delicacy. That I promise that you will not want to share with anyone.
      I forgot to mention that I cooked up 4 more potatoes in the WFO using the old method from the retained heat from last night's on the coals event. Same potatoes, different method, results as stated.

However, I will try it again since they are cheap and I very much want this method to work! It is always better to have two methods of cooking the same thing. One while you are heating the oven up and one on the down side. Thanks for the encouragement.

Comment

Hi Smartnavyguy,

Get potatoes from another source, could be a bad crop.

Comment

......... mind bending delicious, mouth watering delicacy. That I promise that you will not want to share with anyone.
          This sounds like some of the mushrooms that we did back in the 60's .
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            This sounds like some of the mushrooms that we did back in the 60's .
            With the SHROOMS, you wanted to share, you wanted the world to see what you saw. Remember?

Comment

With the SHROOMS, you wanted to share, you wanted the world to see what you saw. Remember?
              I woke up this mornin' with the sundown shinin' in
              I found my mind in a brown paper bag, but then...
              I tripped on a cloud and fell eight miles high
              I tore my mind on a jagged sky
              I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in......
              Kenny Rogers is a USA country music ledgend now. Here is what he looked like back in the day.

It's difficult to believe that we survived that sht or did we: .
              Last edited by Gulf; 03-17-2013, 06:47 PM. Reason: Update
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
              X