Salmon in about 4 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salmon in about 4 minutes

OK OK kinda boring to watch. But I figured out you can cook salmon at 850 degrees f and it comes out amazing. Takes about 4 minutes, watch out once it's close to cooked, as the fat that renders can ignite.

Salmon in the wood fired oven - YouTube

Re: Salmon in about 4 minutes

Looks good...was it cooked all the way through?

Bill

Comment

It took about minute or so longer after I stopped the video, but yes cooked all the way.
      Last edited by horrocks007; 03-21-2013, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Hi Horro,

Next time try it skin side up, and at 850 degrees 2 1/2 to 3 minutes max (your tast buds will thank you), 4 minute at 850 is a darn good steak on a hot Tuscan grill.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Hi Horro,

Next time try it skin side up, and at 850 degrees 2 1/2 to 3 minutes max (your tast buds will thank you), 4 minute at 850 is a darn good steak on a hot Tuscan grill.
          Skin side down is the beauty if this. If you want that nice caramelization and flavor development on the meat anyway. Crispy salmon skin doesn't really trill me, but you still have that too on the bottom. Because the skin is down, there is nothing to stick. And I get some wood smoke penetration in the meat.

I took a temp of this at 2.5 minutes and it was still at 70 degrees in the thick part, so it needed to go longer. 4 minutes was 135, seemed about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by horrocks007 View Post
            Skin side down is the beauty if this. If you want that nice caramelization and flavor development on the meat anyway. Crispy salmon skin doesn't really trill me, but you still have that too on the bottom. Because the skin is down, there is nothing to stick. And I get some wood smoke penetration in the meat.

I took a temp of this at 2.5 minutes and it was still at 70 degrees in the thick part, so it needed to go longer. 4 minutes was 135, seemed about right to me.
            Horro,

The criterion for cook fish and seafood are different from those of meats and most cuts of fish are not thick enough to use an internal temp. probe, and at 850 degrees there shouldn't be any wood smoke. The reason for skin side down is to render the flavor and nutritional vitamins and element from the oil into the flesh of the fish.

Comment

You should get a thermopen from thermoworks.com. The probe uses an extremely thin needle and reads the temperature from multiple locations including the tip. The temp is gives you is the lowest one read. You can probe things that are as thin as sliced white bread. The salmon that is pictured weighed more than a pound and was very thick at one end. If you probe a chicken breast, this would be easier.

Maybe you should try skin side up, you might love it. The mallard flavor reaction on the meat far exceeds the benifits that you get from the fat rendering over the salmon. But each to their own. If I was smoking a side of beef, I would agree with your method of fatty side up.

Comment

Hi Horro,

I didn't mean for this to become a p!&&!ng contest! Just another approach, at that temp and time, I was thinking of making it palatable. I never use or would see the need to use a probe to cook a filet of fish. The maillard reaction, that you threw out is a mis-statement! It apply to meat. "Fish is different. The fat in fish comes from oils distributed throughout their flesh; it isn't stored in pockets as it is in beef and pork. These oils have subtle flavors in and of themselves; and they contribute to the flavor of the fish".

Comment

I don' like salmon...strange it's the only fish I don't care for. There is a way of doing fish on a soaked wooden plank. I will be trying that later in the season.

Oh... agree skin up on fish...unless your smoking...then skin down. But that's me!!!

Comment

Fish, coffee, cocoa, scallops, malt, even bread are all products thats that utilize the malliard reaction to develop their final flavor. I really don't need to be educating you on this, you can google all about it. This is a key reaction to making things more palatable. You should know about it since your cookin in the wfo. It makes no sense to me to prevent that reaction from occurring by cooking the salmon skin side up, why not just bake it in a conventional oven then? The whole point of cooking the salmon at such a high temperature is to develop as much flavor in the short amount of time it will take to cook. I love seared salmon and was very happy to find that I can achieve a similar crusty meat browning using my method.

Beef and pork both have intramuscular fat marbling, like salmon.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                      I don' like salmon...strange it's the only fish I don't care for. There is a way of doing fish on a soaked wooden plank. I will be trying that later in the season.

Oh... agree skin up on fish...unless your smoking...then skin down. But that's me!!!
                      Hi Faith,

What baking? Today for me, Anise/Toasted Almond Sourdough. I'm not partial to either skin up or down, since there a multitude of way to prepare it. We eat way more raw fish than cooked. Living in the number one fish eating nation in the world, you learn many ways to enjoy and appreciate the many varieties and their subtle differences.

Comment

Love fish raw and otherwise. Unfortunately I'm 5 hours from the coast so good sea food is hard to find in my town. We do have two women that sell fresh fish from the back of their pick up truck. Well the sign says fresh but that's not always the case.

Almond toasted sourdough....Yummm.

I'm not baking yet hopefully this weekend. Went to King Arthur for the rye class and caught the flu. Nasty thing taking me a month to get over. No baking in 30 days...that's just not right.

Comment

I love it, Personally i remove the skin when i do fish. It just tastes better for me. I wouldn't change a thing you did there.
                          Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Had to try them both ways. I didn't cook mine as hot (oven in the 650-700 range), and taste is always subjective, however, I found skin up to be a bit tastier. That said they were both excellent! High heat cooking with fish is the way to go. The skin on skin side up was tastier too, IMHO.

Comment

Okn, That looks great... wish I liked salmon. I need to find some King Blue and play around with the oven.

Comment

Working...
                              X