Cooking with Chip & Ann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cooking with Chip & Ann

Just glancing at your thread this morning.

Do you have any alternative method for working the cheese instead of using a microwave?

At one time, I had multiple microwaves. One for my truck to warm meals, another for my office-same reason, and another in the house that had convection and regular bake options. I read somewhere about the how "micro wave" frequency alters the characteristic of the item being heated and since then disposed of or donated all these to other non-believers in the dangers of microwave.

The article was an obscure publication about the Soviets experimenting with microwaves for heating meals for their soldiers--then the experiments stopped because of dangerous effects. later some person publishing something in Europe on the same topic and appliance manufacturers forcing him to stop his claims ---the whole thing went to court and the scientist won the court action--but still not much is publicized on the topic. Microwave oven manufacturing world wide is a "HUGE BUSINESS". So instead of using ours, we changed back to things like heating on the stove, toaster oven, or a steamer.

I'm not a whacko, or at least I don't think I am! But a whacko would not recognize a whacko anyway so who knows?

Back to the question--any other way to accomplish the same thing without the microwave oven??

Also, I am storing all this information up and filing it in the things to try next file--next to the other lists--like log splitter, woodshed, oven complete, solar panel installation, building a compost structure, polycarbonate roof over another section of garden.... so I'll be coming back to this topic and watching your thread with interest.

Good thing you can type quickly--makes for interesting reading!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
      Just glancing at your thread this morning.

Do you have any alternative method for working the cheese instead of using a microwave?

At one time, I had multiple microwaves. One for my truck to warm meals, another for my office-same reason, and another in the house that had convection and regular bake options. I read somewhere about the how "micro wave" frequency alters the characteristic of the item being heated and since then disposed of or donated all these to other non-believers in the dangers of microwave.

The article was an obscure publication about the Soviets experimenting with microwaves for heating meals for their soldiers--then the experiments stopped because of dangerous effects. later some person publishing something in Europe on the same topic and appliance manufacturers forcing him to stop his claims ---the whole thing went to court and the scientist won the court action--but still not much is publicized on the topic. Microwave oven manufacturing world wide is a "HUGE BUSINESS". So instead of using ours, we changed back to things like heating on the stove, toaster oven, or a steamer.

I'm not a whacko, or at least I don't think I am! But a whacko would not recognize a whacko anyway so who knows?

Back to the question--any other way to accomplish the same thing without the microwave oven??

Also, I am storing all this information up and filing it in the things to try next file--next to the other lists--like log splitter, woodshed, oven complete, solar panel installation, building a compost structure, polycarbonate roof over another section of garden.... so I'll be coming back to this topic and watching your thread with interest.

Good thing you can type quickly--makes for interesting reading!
      Patience is a virtue grasshopper, I will get there in good time.
      Chip

Comment

Hey Chip I'm enjoying this thread. It's great to see what people cook in their ovens.

I have been cooking my bread in a cast iron pot for a few years now and find it works really well.

I'm also interested in your home made mozzarella. My wife makes goats cheese and it is also great on pizza. She has a contact who supplies fresh, unpasturised milk and it really makes a difference.

Keep 'em coming.
        Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Chip, This is really great info and much more pleasant reading than some of the goings on in this forum lately. Negativity can be a turn off and there's never any of that in your posts, only generous sharing of your knowledge. I did'nt realize mozzarella making was this involved. It's time to order wine yeast so I will add cheese supplies and give it a try. If its worth doing its worth doing right. Now I need to talk to my dairy farmer nieghbor about buying some "real" whole milk.
          John

Comment

Originally posted by silvfox View Post
            Chip, This is really great info and much more pleasant reading than some of the goings on in this forum lately. Negativity can be a turn off and there's never any of that in your posts, only generous sharing of your knowledge. I did'nt realize mozzarella making was this involved. It's time to order wine yeast so I will add cheese supplies and give it a try. If its worth doing its worth doing right. Now I need to talk to my dairy farmer nieghbor about buying some "real" whole milk.
            John
            Hi old foxie,

Read this:What is raw milk?

You can go directly to the farmer and purchase it.
            Last edited by Laurentius; 09-03-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I milked cows as a youngster and grew up drinking raw milk. It has become a legal battle for many farmers in the US who sell unpasturized milk. I suspect the temperatures reached in the making of mozzarella kill bacteria but if not it would'nt deter me. Chip your thoughts?

Comment

Laurentius, I read your link for pasteurization and this is the conclusion!
                I can get "fresh milk" like 10 seconds out of the teat milk! From a certified milk producer! So to make it safe--by FDA rules, I should heat it to 161F for 15 seconds! Then I can proceed with using the mozzarella recipe is providing and make some great "SAFE" cheese!

so that should be added to the instructions "if you use RAW milk" do this!

But how did people live before 1864 when Pasteur introduced this method to milk safety? At that time, refrigeration was not a hot topic--PUN! Cool topic! another PUN! golly, I'm on a roll!

Yes there is a possibility for food borne diseases but the collection and distribution has gone from the stone age to space age since 1864!

Lots of the present time diseases did not exist 150 years ago! They are caused by a lot of other things! I really think milk right out of the cow is safe!

Should we pasteurize "mothers' milk too"... I think not! What is more safe and enjoyable place to dine? For babies--of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway. Mr. Chipster--you have created a forum that even Laurentius is interested! Must be a great thread--so keep it up!

Comment

personal note, the package arrived and is appreciated by one!
                  Me!
                  The thought of fence mending is appreciated, but did not pan out! Someone was only interested in the Tupperware! So thanks from me!

Comment

Part 4

Making Fresh Mozzarella from your Frozen Curd

The slow way - but I think it works a little better.

Remove a package of your frozen curd from the freezer and place in the refrigerator overnight on a plate or in a bowl to prevent drips.

The next day about an hour before you are going to make your cheese take the now defrosted curd out of it's plastic bag, and wrap in a couple of sheets of paper towel. This will absorb any excess moisture prior to cheese formation.

Place the curd in a microwave safe bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 scant tsp of salt per 4 oz of cheese, use more or less salt to your own liking but be aware that to much salt will produce a grainy cheese.

Less is more, in fact I like 1/4 tsp per 4 oz cheese but most others seem to like the scant 1/2 tsp.

Now that the curd has been salted place in microwave for 20 seconds, remove and gently turn and press the curd to try and remove any excess water (whey). Pour off any liquid.

Return to microwave for 20 second increments and gently turn and fold after each heating cycle. Repeat this process until the curd begins to show some smoothness or a shiny surface.

Now the fun starts, if you have delicate hands like Ann, wear some thin latex gloves for this part. Wash your hands one more time and pick up the hot curd and begin a slow stretching and folding of the - now cheese.

If it begins to cool so it starts to tear return it to the bowl and microwave for another 10-15 seconds to reheat, remove and stretch again.

If you want nice soft cheese 2 stretching sessions that perform 3 stretches to the cheese each will give you a nice soft cheese. If you want dryer stringier cheese repeat this cycle 4 or more times.

Get a 1ft square piece of plastic wrap and place it on the counter ready to receive the freshe cheese.

Once you have the cheese the consistency you desire place the cheese in the palm of one of your hands, form a circle with your thumb and index finger around the cheese and with the other hand push the cheese up through the circle created by your fingers making a kind of balloon like ball as it exits the fingers.

Pinch off the ball between the thumb and index finger and place it on center the plastic. Pull
                    Up the corners of the plastic and spin the ball of cheese into the plastic removing as much air as possible.

The wrapped cheese can be placed in cool water or the refrigerator to firm up.

Or again just eat some.

The fast method - Better known as "I want cheese now"

Remove frozen curd from freezer and place into microwave safe bowl.

Microwave for 30 seconds. Take a fork and break up curd into sugar cube size pieces. It it does not break up easily return to microwave for another 30 seconds. And try again.

Once the curd is broken up salt it to your liking, start with a scant 1/2 tsp per 4 oz curd.

Now you have an almost identical situation to the slow defrost method but you have the curd ready to make cheese in about a minute. Follow the instructions above. With the 20 second heating followed by gentle folding and draining. Until it becomes shiny and smooth and ..... Well now you can take it from there.

Next part making FM without a microwave.

The photos are of frozen curd to Fresh Mozzarella with 20 seconds of microwave time in between. The last photo it is time to stretch with your hands.
                    Last edited by mrchipster; 09-04-2013, 05:48 AM.
                    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by silvfox View Post
                      I milked cows as a youngster and grew up drinking raw milk. It has become a legal battle for many farmers in the US who sell unpasturized milk. I suspect the temperatures reached in the making of mozzarella kill bacteria but if not it would'nt deter me. Chip your thoughts?
                      The temps are not all that high, the cheese probably does not exceed 150F so that would not be enough to guarantee killing bacteria. The water bath method uses 165 degree water so the cheese will not get to 165 because of cooling of the water due to the cheese.
                      Last edited by mrchipster; 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM.
                      Chip

Comment

I am sorry it has bee so long since my last post to this link.

I had been planning to smoke Some ribs yesterday because the oven was in a cooling cycle from bread making on Saturday. But despite sub zero temps for the last 3 days the oven continued to hold the temp to 300+F until this morning.

The oven is finally 210F so I started a smudge fire this morning with left over oak charcoal, and peach provided by my wife's brother "Slvrfox" now a member of this forum.

The temp this morning is a balmy -12F and the low was -16F. Expected high today is -1 so we will need to wait until tomorrow to see above zero.

The ribs are now in the oven and getting a good smoke.

I will post pictures later of the outcome.

Recipe.

3 full racks of pork short ribs.

Salt water Brine soaked for 24 hours, removed from soak, drained and dried off.

Rub generously with weber "Kick'n Chicken seasoning". And individually wrapped in stretch plastic wrap then back in the cooler for another 24 hours.

Plastic removed and placed on Tuscan grill in the oven at 200F heavy peach smoke.

I will smoke for about 3 - 4 hours and then I will wrap in foil and bring up the heat for another 2-3 hours.

I will try to let you know how they taste.

Additional pictures to follow.
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 01-07-2014, 07:33 AM.
                        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                          I am sorry it has bee so long since my last post to this link.

he ribs are now in the oven and getting a good smoke.

I will post pictures later of the outcome.

Recipe.

3 full racks of pork short ribs.

Salt water Brine soaked for 24 hours, removed from soak, drained and dried off.

Rub generously with weber "Kick'n Chicken seasoning". And individually wrapped in stretch plastic wrap then back in the cooler for another 24 hours.

Plastic removed and placed on Tuscan grill in the oven at 200F heavy peach smoke.

I will smoke for about 3 - 4 hours and then I will wrap in foil and bring up the heat for another 2-3 hours.

I will try to let you know how they taste.

Additional pictures to follow.
                          Currious how the ribs came out. Depending on the rub ingredients seems like they might be too salty. Did you keep them dry or did you baste with sauce at some point? I know it can be hard to keep up a thread like this, but I think it certainly adds to this community when members share their efforts. Bruce
                          Link to my build here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Chip,
                            I have at least six of weber's blends and they have become my go to seasonings. Use the Beer Can Chicken on chicken breast several times a week. Haven't tryed the Kick'n Chicken on pork and I have some ribs waiting in the freezer. Anxious to hear how those peach smoked ribs turn out.
                            Silvfox

Comment

Ok, it has been a great while since I posted it this thread... But I have something that you must try.

We think it is the best pizza sausage recipe ever.

Ann went to the store this evening to get some groceries and toppings for tonight's pizza. She decided that the hot Italian sausage at the store looked -- well marginal. So she came home with one pound of coarse ground lean pork.

She said we should try making our own sausage so, off to the Internet.

I researched several recipes and this is what we made.

1 pound coarse freshly ground pork - lean or your preference.

1/4 cup of dry red wine. We used an inexpensive Cab - Costco Kirkland 2013 Cabernet.

1.5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

1.5 tablespoons minced fresh basil

1 teaspoon frozen thyme (sorry about frozen it was all we had)

1 teaspoon frozen oregano (again no fresh available and did not want to use dry)

1.5 teaspoons crushed fennel seed (crushed whole fennel in mortar and pestle)

3/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes - make sure they are not a year old these things should be replaced quarterly - they loose a lot of flavor.

1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese

1/2 teaspoon salt
                              fresh geound black pepper - again fresh corns - the loose flavor over time.

5 garlic cloves, minced

Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and mix well with a silicone spatula.

Fry sausage in nickel size pieces (2 cm) or your preference until just cooked (slightly browned) so ready for pizza.

The pizza in the photo is as follows.

200 g 100% hydration sour dough starter. Flour is 14% protein. Very active ,fed 4 times every 6 hours for 24 hours prior to use.
                              450 g bottled water
                              150 g fresh ground fine hard red wheat
                              650 g 14 % protein bread flour.
                              3/4 tsp fresh instant dry yeast
                              2 tsp salt

Add water and whole wheat to KA mixer bowl and mix low for 2 minutes.
                              Allow to set for 20 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients excep for salt and mix for 1 minute.
                              Add salt and mix for 2 more minutes.

Cover dough with oiled plastic wrap and place in fridge for 2 hours, stretch and fold dough, return to fridge until next day and do one ombr? stretch and fold.

About 2 pm remove dough from fridge and form into 150g balls. Place individual balls into lightly oiled soup size bowls, and cover with oiled plate or plastic wrap.

Allow to rise to 3x original size.

While dough is rising get the oven ready.

Stretch dusted with fresh ground whole wheat, dough ball to about 14 inch size, add what you want to the pizza, cook cut and eat. Yummmm

BTW: this is a no sauce pizza, just sharp white Dublin cheddar, garlic, olive oil, mushrooms, onion , a little olive mudflats, and of course the sausage.
                              Last edited by mrchipster; 05-26-2015, 05:49 AM.
                              Chip

Comment

To those unfamiliar with Olive Muffalata here is a photo.
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X