Kleftico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kleftico

Have to say my favourite dish so far is not the countless beer can chickens, but a Cypriot dish called Kleftico, slow baked lamb cooked for four hours at 400 degrees celsius, the smell coming out of the oven is amazing & the finished product just melts in yor mouth

Made from lamb forequarter, whole garlic cloves, lemon juice, fresh rosemary, fresh oregano, salt & pepper, a little water

Awesome...

Re: Kleftico

"cooked for four hours at 400 degrees celsius,"

Wow that's really giving it some serious cooking and the potatoes aren't even brown. Something wrong there.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

4 hours at 752 deg F ??? you could melt a tire. What gives ?

Tex
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

If I kept that dish in my oven at those temps for that length of time I would be looking at black coals on the baking sheet.
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by THX1138 View Post
          Have to say my favourite dish so far is not the countless beer can chickens, but a Cypriot dish called Kleftico, slow baked lamb cooked for four hours at 400 degrees celsius, the smell coming out of the oven is amazing & the finished product just melts in yor mouth

Made from lamb forequarter, whole garlic cloves, lemon juice, fresh rosemary, fresh oregano, salt & pepper, a little water

Awesome...
          Your thermometer is BROKEN!

Comment

No seriously, that's how it is done, it dates back to when sheep were stolen and placed in underground ovens for cooking by the robbers

My oven thermometer is not broken, nor my infrared thermometer, work perefctly

Check it out & give it a crack, you wont be disappointed...

Comment

I agree with other posters, 400C and slow cooking don't seem to go together. Maybe things cook differently on the other side of the equator, but if I tried that I'd have a pan of charcoal. Even 4 hours at 400F in an uncovered pan is going to give me something chewier than shoe leather.

Are you starting it at 400C and letting it cool down? And did you cover it? Had to look up a recipe and that's what this one suggests
              http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/s...-lamb-kleftiko
              Last edited by deejayoh; 09-05-2013, 10:37 AM.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Good point DJ, maybe THX has an oven that is un insulated and door off. Mine would be near 400C for the entire cook.

THX, What is your oven temp at the end of the 4 hour cook?
                Chip

Comment

My oven is fully insulated over & above standard recommendations above & below, temp at end of cooking is just unde 400 degrees celsius

Please note the food is covered, sealed & cooks in its own juices, it does not burn as you think, this is the way it has been done for donkey's years. It can be done in conventional ovens at lower temps but clay ovens or wood fired pizza ovens give the best result using retained heat cooking

Do some research and see how it is done, there are many You Tube examples

The best recipe & video is from Australia's Food Safari TV show on SBS

Regards,

Phil

Comment

By the way, the door is left on...

Comment

Hey DJ maybe something in your equator commentThis side of the equator the water in sinks travels clockwise. Apparently on your side of the equator it goes the other way.

Maybe its the water and the lid creates a steaming environment. But I do agree very hot and very long cooking time and small pieces of meat to boot. It should be black.
                      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Guys I found the recipe THX refers and he is spot on. Here is the link and its cooked in a wfo

Slow-cooked oven-baked lamb recipe (kleftiko) : Food Safari : SBS Food) think this is the same as DJ link.
                        Last edited by oasiscdm; 09-07-2013, 06:52 AM.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Thats the one..

It is gold!!

Phil

Comment

Hey Phil

I thought it was lamb

But if cooking it like that turns it to gold then i'm off to the butchers. See Ya...........
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Mmmmmmmmmmmm more meat...

Comment

Working...
                              X