Chicken and Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken and Bread

Cooked beer can chicken and made some bread after having pizza. The chicken and bread were cooked the next morning. All good!

Bread was peasant type loaves with garlic and herbs.

Re: Chicken and Bread

I guess you cleaned the oven floor and put the bread directly on the floor? I have bread twice and failed twice...
    Where can I find logs? I need more!
    Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

GrahamG, I cooked the bread right on the floor of the oven. After clearing out most of the ashes, I usually just use the large pizza peel and slap it on the floor where I'm going to place the bread to make sure the floor is clean. What kind of problems are you having with your bread?

Comment

davemartin88,
        The chicken looks delicious and the bread is flawless.

Congratulations and Happy Holidays!!!

Comment

Dave,

The bread & chicken look deelish! Any chance of you posting your bread recipe and directions? It looks awesome!

Comment

Here's a link to another site that has the bread recipe.

No-Knead European Peasant Bread - Recipes

This is from the "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes A Day" book and I added some garlic & herb mixture from King Arthur flour. I really like the book because of the many, easy recipes that usually seem to turn out well. I didn't add any steam to the WFO when I cooked the bread, haven't really figured out an easy way to do this that works but would probably make it even better?

I've also done this bread before by just adding various herbs and garlic (powder or fresh) depending on what we have around the house. I think it's the small amounts of rye and wheat flour that make it work. You will need to adjust the cooking times/temps for your own oven.

The dough is easier to work with after having been refrigerated at least over night but the ones for the picture in the original post were baked right after the initial rise. I had forgotten to make some dough after we made pizza so woke up to a nice, warm oven without anything ready to go.

Thanks for the positive feedback, thinking I'll make this bread again to use for Christmas turkey and ham leftover sandwiches.

Comment

Overcooked then undercooked! I have just got a temp probe so should know better and I plan on baking this weekend. I left the coals in first - overcooked! Then I cleaned them out and mopped the floor with a damp cloth - undercooked. The problem was I did not know was the internal temp was - but I will this weekend!

Originally posted by davemartin88 View Post
              GrahamG, I cooked the bread right on the floor of the oven. After clearing out most of the ashes, I usually just use the large pizza peel and slap it on the floor where I'm going to place the bread to make sure the floor is clean. What kind of problems are you having with your bread?
              Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Finally got it right!

Comment

GrahamG- good news on the bread progress! The Beer Can Chicken has become an easy favorite for us, just about any time we make pizza, I try to cook a chicken the next morning. We keep them in the fridge for a couple of days and then heat them up for an evening meal- just like the ones you can bring home from the store but better! We like sandwiches at lunch time and it's a real treat to use homemade bread most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X