Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like meatloaf

Well, I never used to.
    Then last year I attended a Rotary meeting where the main course was meatloaf.
    Naturally, as a visitor I was hardly going to be so rude as to say I don't like it, so I resigned myself to eating it.
    Much to my surprise it was very good.
    When asked if I was enjoying the meal I came clean and explained we hadn't eaten meatloaf at my house since the day I 'fessed up to the wife why I was only lukewarm in my support when she was cutting crook at the kids for not eating the stuff.
    I had to explain why I'd been eating it for years, if I didn't like it.
    Any married man will understand, I'm sure, that when the missus has gone to the trouble of cooking it you eat it, whatever it is.
    The president of the local Rotary was kinda chuffed, because his wife had made it. At the end of the evening he presented me with her recipe.
    Naturally the recipe got a chilly reception when I took it home, because now its not meatloaf I don't like, it's the wife's meatloaf I don't like.
    I assumed the wife had thrown it out, but the other day not only did she say she still had it, but she had thawed enough to actually make it, and it's still really nice.
    So today I was instructed to make it while she was at work, so naturally it was a WFO oven job.
    Made the meatloaf, and the best bread I've managed so far.
    Last edited by wotavidone; 05-18-2014, 05:05 AM.

Re: I don't like meatloaf

Meatloaf was one of my grandfathers favorites, and always with mashed potatoes. I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but I've had some that I really loved....grandmas being of of them. If course, being 100% Neapolitan she always put some kind of Italian spin on it. And fortunately for me, the good woman makes a great meatloaf too. I think I would have made a meatloaf sand which with the bread...the crumb looks nice.

You're a brave soul to let on that you're not a fan of the missus 'loaf!
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

It took 9 years of marriage to work up the courage to tell her.
      I've made the sandwiches for tomorrow's lunch.
      Last edited by wotavidone; 05-18-2014, 05:14 AM.

Comment

G'day mick
        You have not had a good day.
        I'm hoping for your own good this comes out for the best!
        You can get into points of order and best practice on this forum and survive to see another day. But on the home front?
        Now let me get this right. You have brought another women's recipe into the house of something you have rejected from in the past! And expecting cooking it in the WFO is going to make it .... Well ... Work
        Sorry buddy I think that a lose / lose situation .
        I've been married for 30 years ..... Sometimes you just have to lose

Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
          G'day mick
          You have not had a good day.
          I'm hoping for your own good this comes out for the best!
          You can get into points of order and best practice on this forum and survive to see another day. But on the home front?
          Now let me get this right. You have brought another women's recipe into the house of something you have rejected from in the past! And expecting cooking it in the WFO is going to make it .... Well ... Work
          Sorry buddy I think that a lose / lose situation .
          I've been married for 30 years ..... Sometimes you just have to lose

Regards dave
          Worry not mate. It's all good. We've been married for over 20 years, so she had plenty of time to get over the original disappointment. And it's not like I banned the stuff, I've never said the missus can't have it, just don't expect me to eat it. So it hasn't been a major bone of contention between us.
          It did take nearly a year for her to try out this recipe, but when she did it turned out pretty good, so she was just happy it was back on the menu. Today was my turn to cook while she worked all day, and I like using the wood oven.

I sometimes wonder, am I the only guy who has noticed a drop in his gas bill? Long slow roasts in the oven in the kitchen, replaced by free heat from scavenged wood in the WFO.
          Last edited by wotavidone; 05-18-2014, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
            I sometimes wonder, am I the only guy who has noticed a drop in his gas bill? Long slow roasts in the oven in the kitchen, replaced by free heat from scavenged wood in the WFO.
            I have a gas stove in the house and my gas consumption is now a third of what it was. The long slow roasts make the difference.

My wife brought some great family recipes to the union but there was no meatloaf recipe, I still use them. Difference now is that I share them with my cat. No arguments.
            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
              I have a gas stove in the house and my gas consumption is now a third of what it was. The long slow roasts make the difference.

My wife brought some great family recipes to the union but there was no meatloaf recipe, I still use them. Difference now is that I share them with my cat. No arguments.
              You're doing allright mate, my cat refuses to eat anything cooked, the spoiled brat that he is.

Comment

I HATE meatloaf as well, and recently went to my husband's grandparents to eat it. I ate mine 3 different ways:

1.) Covered a bite in mashed potatoes
                2.) Took a big bite of bread with a little meatloaf
                3.) Mixed a bite with any veggie on my plate and swallowed it down with my drink.

I am not ready to go with this. Not really my thing. Yukkk

Comment

Working...
                X