Grilled Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilled Pizza

While my oven project continues (found a fire brick supplier today), I was definitely craving pizza today. The house was stuffy and warm, so I went with my propane grill pizza.

My "technique" is as follows...get the dough as thin as you can without tearing it. Brush one side with EVOO and place directly on the grill (oil side down). Don't go anywhere, after a minute or two it will be ready to come off. As it is cooking, brush the side facing you with EVOO (this will eventually be the bottom of the pizza). Here is a shot of two crusts cooking.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00604.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	311379

Once you get good grill marks, it is ready to flip. Dress it with your favorite toppings. The pizza on the left is a simple tomato sauce and cheese for my 9 year old son. The one on the right is about to become the "grown-up" pizza.

Name:	DSC00606.JPG
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	311380

Mozzarella, smoked gouda, fresh basil, and sauteed onions glazed in balsamic and red wine.

Name:	DSC00607.JPG
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	311381

Bon appetit!
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Re: Grilled Pizza

Joe,

Does the soft pizza dough technique in the FB Pizza e-Book work on a grill?
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Not sure yet - i've got to make some!

My "weekday" pizza dough is sotre bought. One nice thing about living in close proximity to the Italo-American community in Providence is that I can get good fresh dough at the local market for $1.49
      "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

I should have mentioned: I heat up the grill with all burners roaring for about 20 minutes before throwing on the dough.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

In a word, yes!

I recently started making pizza doughs for my pizzas and have been delighted with the results obtained following the Forno Bravo recipe as listed in the forum. I am fortunate to be able to get Caputo pizza flour at a local store (Pacific Food Importers).

Up until recently, I have been using a pizza stone on the bottom rack of my oven (convection) at 550 deg C which has yielded good results. I'd been wanting to making pizzas on my grill, but the stone is too big--so I tried putting the pizza directly on the grates. Within 2 minutes, I was rewarded with a beautifully charred pizza that my stone/oven combination couldn't come come close to matching.

As my grill doesn't produce an even heat, I do rotate my pizzas as you would in a wood-fired oven using the same wooden peel the pizza was made on, which seems to work just fine. You do need to be quick though, if you don't want to add fuel to the fire! I don't oil the pizza or grate; sticking has never been an issue for me.

To those of you without a wood-fired oven, give it a shot.

Originally posted by james View Post
          Joe,

Does the soft pizza dough technique in the FB Pizza e-Book work on a grill?
          James

Comment

Sounds great! Time to fire up the grill!

Comment

Working...
            X